• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 426 Street Wedge Air Cleaner (sort of)

grubby65

Local time
7:00 AM
Reaction score
IMG_1780 (2).jpg

Here is a picture of my air cleaner I built from a standard 4 barrel unit. I used Eastwood Chrome Powder Coat for a finish. As you can see it is not quite Chrome, but it isn't too bad. I used a K&N E-1560 filter and have about 1/2" of Clearance between the top of the cleaner and the hood. The motor is a 400 block, with a torque intake, and 850 cfm Edelbrock carburetor. I use a torque strap so I'm OK with the clearance. After cutting down the bottom plate there is about 1 1/2" gap between the filter and the top cover.

Last edited:
Did you clear that too before adding your decals? Eastwood's chrome powder is not UV stable on its own; it will start to oxidize soon and you'll be polishing it before long.

Did you clear that too before adding your decals? Eastwood's chrome powder is not UV stable on its own; it will start to oxidize soon and you'll be polishing it before long.
Yes and No. I tried two different types of clear coat, one was the Eastwood Powder and the other was an Automotive Spray, both turned the chrome look to a barely shinny silver. So, currently it does not have a clear coat on it. I really don't know if UV should be an issue though. But, I'm sure it will stain over time.

If you routinely open your hood at car shows and let the sun beat on it, UV exposure will definitely be an issue sooner than later. The results you describe in the clear dulling the shiny chrome finish are very typical, and one of the biggest reasons why powder suppliers are constantly striving to improve the product. I've been using a single-stage chrome replica for a year or so now that doesn't need a clear coat. Customers seem to really love it!

Mike Asbury - BMW Parts After 008.JPG

Anywway, I hope it works out for you grubby. Don't hesitate to hit me up if I can help.

If you routinely open your hood at car shows and let the sun beat on it, UV exposure will definitely be an issue sooner than later. The results you describe in the clear dulling the shiny chrome finish are very typical, and one of the biggest reasons why powder suppliers are constantly striving to improve the product. I've been using a single-stage chrome replica for a year or so now that doesn't need a clear coat. Customers seem to really love it!

View attachment 432575

Anywway, I hope it works out for you grubby. Don't hesitate to hit me up if I can help.
What is the Single-Stage chrome powder you are using. I would like to try something different. UV is one thing, but I'm not happy with the overall presentation of the existing chrome powder I have on it. I would lie to try something different this winter. Thanks for the thoughts.

It's called Mirror Silver. I bought some as part of a group buy on FaceBook (I couldn't use 50 pounds in my entire career lol). I believe it's made by Tiger Drylac.

What is the Single-Stage chrome powder you are using. I would like to try something different. UV is one thing, but I'm not happy with the overall presentation of the existing chrome powder I have on it. I would lie to try something different this winter. Thanks for the thoughts.
Saw this stuff or a similar product on Counting Cars and on My Classic Car in Jay Leno's Garage.
$$$$$$$$ A small kit is almost $600!!! How much you can do I don't know.

https://www.futurechrome.com/

I made my own from a single snorkel air cleaner. Removed the snorkel, patched the hole and then had it chromed. Cost was right around $125.

IMG_5329a.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back