• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air Cleaner to Hood Clearance 68 Road Runner

Runner 68

Tarnished Bronze Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:35 AM
Reaction score
Hello, old topic but I can't find the answer I'm looking for.
68 Road Runner, stock hood, low deck BB, TFS Heads and Manifold, no hood insulation. I ran into some hood clearance issues. I have a combination of a drop base air cleaner and 2.5" filter that gives me ~1/2" clearance between the hood and air cleaner.
Mancini Mag Mounts with a very healthy torque strap.

The basic question is will 1/2" of clearance be enough?

Any input is appreciated.

I'd be more than happy with that much. I've dealt with clearances you could measure with sheets of paper.

I figured you would chime in Greg. I think you have dealt with every clearance issue known to man.
The underside of the hood paint is like a plate of glass and I can't afford any touchy-touchy.
Thanks guys.

When my 68 X popped a small carb fire I ended up w/a round burn mark on my stock hood. I don’t quite remember but that may have been what prompted me to move faster on the six pak setup including air cleaner and lift off.

When my 68 X popped a small carb fire I ended up w/a round burn mark on my stock hood. I don’t quite remember but that may have been what prompted me to move faster on the six pak setup including air cleaner and lift off.
Funny, I had a similar issue back in the day. Had a big Mallory decal under the hood that got melted. :lol:

Have you been running this setup? Any issues to report? I have a low deck stroker with the same heads I'm about to put in a 68 Road Runner with a 69 hood. Id like to run the Trick Flow intake, but i'd rather not order it without knowing it will fit.

I have not fired it up yet with the hood closed. Math, logic, multiple measurements and the input from the gurus on here says it will be fine. The 500 is chained down very well. If I'm wrong, I run the risk of ******* up the underside of the hood for starters not to mention the top side. See below. Buried under six coats of clear.
I think it will be fine. If not, well, shame on me.

Bird.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back