• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Satellite hood insulation installation ???

LongR

Local time
4:12 PM
Reaction score
which side goes against the hood ????
smooth black or textured gray

PXL_20240311_220327196.jpg

PXL_20240311_220348095.MP.jpg

Smooth to the hood.
That is a generic thick one, it can rub your aircleaner if it sits up high. Now they sell a molded hood pad which is closer to factory and not as thick.

I know what insulation does.
This is not a trick question, so what is the real intended purpose of this "hood insulation"?

Last edited:
Some say noise silencer some say heat protection.? I lean towards the silencer.
Well in that case, any reports on how effective it is?
I installed factory foam hood insulation on my Frieghtliner FL70 Cat powered straight truck, and it did quiet the AC cab a bit on long drives, which I found useful,
Seems on our hot-rodded cars of that era, it must be a very tough task for insulation regarding noise.

Hold it up to the hood with the smooth side visible, then flip it over. Whichever side looks best to you is the way it goes in.

I'm guessing lumpy side facing the hood is going to look cleaner.

why would the smooth side go up?
Why? Because the factory part doesn't have a smooth side, both sides are rough. And it's molded so it can only go on one way.

That aftermarket piece of **** he has is 2 inches thick, it will be like an SOS pad on your 440 GTX pie tin, and that's a $500+ mistake these days,

Why? Because the factory part doesn't have a smooth side, both sides are rough. And it's molded so it can only go on one way.

That aftermarket piece of **** he has is 2 inches thick, it will be like an SOS pad on your 440 GTX pie tin, and that's a $500+ mistake these days,
Even with the molded hood pad if you use any type of spacer on the carb/manifold it will be a brillo pad....prev owner did just that with mine :(

thumbnail5.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back