• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 Coronet small block to big block auto console linkage

mopar1967440

Local time
11:32 AM
Reaction score
I'm having console shift linkage adjustment issues on my 440/727, and wondering if it's because I'm using the linkage from the prior 273/904 down to the 727 shift lever.

1688752192136.png

I adjust it per the manual for park/park and the linkage won't go into manual 1st. Adjust in neutral and I have both park and 1st, but I've had the car slip into reverse on me couple times...luckily I was able to jump in and brake, so for now I've been putting it in neutral with a chalk block. If I slam it into park and pawl catches I'm good, but I have no confidence...specially on hills. Also reverse lights do not come on consistently.

I went thru the linkage and addressed the 50 years of slop. Just can't seem to find an adjustment balance. Also pulled the valve body and made sure the park pawl was installed correctly.

Is there a lower rod diff between small block and RB?

A shorter shift lever on the trans is likely the needed culprit

727 uses a straight manual lever. A 904 would have had a dogleg shaped lever. But u shouldn’t have had any problem. I have changed from the slant 6 to 318/340/360 with 727 and up to 383/440 and never changed any of the consol linkage. Do u have the proper rod on the valve body? Did u make sure the manual valve is adjusted properly. Kim

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back