• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Coronet 500 Project

There was a lawsuit in the early 1980s from GM against a company called "Auto Craft". Their parts boxes had the "AC" logo just like GMs brand with a very small * denoting "replaces". I'm sure GM won the lawsuit.

I remember replacing a starter on my dad's Buick believing I got a genuine GM part, but it was a Auto Craft. Three months later I had to replace the starter.

There was a lawsuit in the early 1980s from GM against a company called "Auto Craft". Their parts boxes had the "AC" logo just like GMs brand with a very small * denoting "replaces". I'm sure GM won the lawsuit.

I remember replacing a starter on my dad's Buick believing I got a genuine GM part, but it was a Auto Craft. Three months later I had to replace the starter.

Auto craft is on that box

Nobody told me that driving this thing would get it filthy.... spent the morning wiping off the road grime.

Got the GPS hung by the rearview mirror with care in hopes that the speedometer would soon be in for repair.

Went to the new Merles Auto store in Sierra Vista and found wiper inserts (that is way harder than is should be!) and the correct group 24 battery by Deka. After lots of research it appears that they are the last man standing for quality batteries and actually bought some of the AC Delco processes when they went to rebranding... So with a new correct battery my Year One reproduction battery hold down got to be installed along with the wipers.

While I was in the park changing the battery I got distracted more than once with admirers wanting the chat and take pictures. The damn birds thought it would be funny to crap all over my new paint and vinyl top....

It is interesting my choice of where to stop for lunch was driving by wide open parking and views of the parking lot... not where I wanted to eat but I could see the car..

Went to Jeff at Auto Care in Sierra Vista for an alignment and balance. One of the members here who rebuilt my engine recommended him. He is an old muscle car guy with a few cars in Hot Rod magazine in the early 2000's. He did a great job and it was clear this was not his first rodeo. Car tracks straight as and arrow and all for what I thought was a very fair price!

DSC_0513.jpg
DSC_0514.jpg
DSC_0515.jpg
IMG_0964.jpg

Last edited:
I'm liking Merles more and more nowadays. The prices are almost the same as rockauto when shipping is added, and they had the road runner rear wheel cylinders on the shelf.

Get used to drawing a crowd everywhere you go!

Hey jim, could you get me a pic of the gas tank vent lines. It's been a long time since I took them out. Thanks.

Drove her to work today. 89 and sunny with lots of heat load in Tucson. Had to turn the AC down on the way home, I got cold :)

Tried to drive it to work yesterday. A mile out of town (after filling the tank full for the first time) smelled something sweet. Stopped and steam was coming out from under the hood.... My motor guy told me those aftermarket chrome thermostat housing suck, I should have listened....

18056650_1400940936608486_2471864624788111970_n.jpg

I cleaned up the factory cast housing, painted and installed it. Much better....

Back to the full tank. Got home last night and the wife had the door open. The FI tank has a leak when it is really full :(

Hey, don't sweat the little things that pop up. The hard part is done, tweaks and repairs are bound to be needed in the first 100 miles during wear in.

Hey, don't sweat the little things that pop up. The hard part is done, tweaks and repairs are bound to be needed in the first 100 miles during wear in.

100 miles? Hell I drive 100 miles to and from work! I have about 500 miles on it now :)

100 miles? Hell I drive 100 miles to and from work! I have about 500 miles on it now :)
You're above the curve then! I was chasing random stuff on my 62 for a while. Worst was the trans leaks, I seriously doubt anyone who says theirs is leak free after a week.

You're above the curve then! I was chasing random stuff on my 62 for a while. Worst was the trans leaks, I seriously doubt anyone who says theirs is leak free after a week.

Knock on wood I have only dealt with a few coolant leaks at clamps and this blowout

I am planning on being at the Little Anthony's Restaurant in Tucson show tonight at about 6 if anyone wants to stop by and see the Orange Safety Cone in person.

Wasn't planning on being in town this long (3 women 2 teenagers.... Sigh) 90 degree modern Tucson traffic is hard on this old girl even with the 26" radiator.

I would go but I have a date tonight :) I can't wait to see it in person.

Well I also have a gas tank leak it I fill it full. That one ticks me off. I did everything I should have. Need to track it down.

What gasket did you use for the fill neck? I found the squared off hockey puck looking one sucks. I used the more rounded one which seems to be made of more flexible rubber. The one I pulled from the Belvedere was split after a couple of years.

C'mon Jim you love all the attention you get while 'tooling' around admit it. It's a blast isn't it?

Auto Transport Service
Back