• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Dodge Charger R/T Rejuvenation (not a full-on restoration)

mikeynonos

Local time
10:16 AM
Reaction score
It was suggested that I start a build sheet here as some members may not be on Facebook to follow along with the build. Sorry, I have not posted this sooner, but I have been very busy with this build, and that of a 1965 Mustang as well. I have many photos to add, so please bear with me.

The Charger, that has been sitting since 1990. It was in very rough shape to start with...

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

11.jpg

Here are the final pictures of the car before teardown.

144.jpg was the inside of the gas tank.

114.jpg

124.jpg

128.jpg

129.jpg

132.jpg

134.jpg

139.jpg

140.jpg

144.jpg

Motor and interior removed (excluding dash) and the rest of the car stripped down and sent off for body and paint.

147.jpg

148.jpg

149.jpg

154.jpg

155.jpg

156.jpg

160.jpg

161.jpg

162.jpg

164.jpg

While the Charger was getting the metal replaced, I moved forward with the engine rebuild. I tried to keep it very detailed and close to stock, but with a few minor upgrades. Here is the teardown...

176.jpg

177.jpg

180.jpg

181.jpg

183.jpg

184.jpg

185.jpg

186.jpg

188.jpg

189.jpg

Block and heads cleaned up, new freeze plugs installed, painted, and start of reassembly. I don't want to bore everyone with every detail, so I will just show some before and after pictures....

218.jpg

219.jpg

222.jpg

229.jpg

233.jpg

235.jpg

237.jpg

239.jpg

Damn - that’s quite a transformation. After seeing the before pictures I was going to suggest a tetanus booster before starting but whoever tackled that metal work was a real craftsman. Don't find those kind of shops everywhere. Nice engine rebuild too. Looks pretty much like a full restoration to me. :thumbsup:

Damn - that’s quite a transformation. After seeing the before pictures I was going to suggest a tetanus booster before starting but whoever tackled that metal work was a real craftsman. Don't find those kind of shops everywhere. Nice engine rebuild too. Looks pretty much like a full restoration to me. :thumbsup:
I guess it is close, but not 100%. The owner of the car (original owner that ordered it) wants it to be a very nice driver as it will be used, not parked. To be honest, it could benefit from new trim and molding, vent windows (chrome pitting), etc, but they don't want to drop $100k to do it just to be afraid of driving it. All said and done, it will be finished for much less than that. The car is actually already painted, but I won't post the final pictures until after the owner has gotten the car back, hopefully within a month. :)

Auto Transport Service
Back