• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Dodge Charger R/T Rejuvenation (not a full-on restoration)

Maybe your car was the inspiration for Neil Young's "Rust Never Sleeps"? Wow!

Maybe your car was the inspiration for Neil Young's "Rust Never Sleeps"? Wow!
It could have been. The owner daily drove this car since new until the mid-eighties. We are (unfortunately) in Illinois, so the salted roads really took effect. Between the undercoating and the oil leaks, most of the floor was in great shape...lol

Back in the day, no manufacture did any type of corrosion protection. Didn't matter if it was U.S., Japanese or Euro. Is the shop applying and inner coatings as they work?

Back in the day, no manufacture did any type of corrosion protection. Didn't matter if it was U.S., Japanese or Euro. Is the shop applying and inner coatings as they work?
This car was completely undercoated when he purchased it. Much of that has come off already, but I assume the dealer did it as he told me he has not had it done. The shop did not coat anything, but I will be applying some undercoating to the inner and outer wheel wells, as well as the inner fenders. At this point, the car will be driven to shows and for enjoyment, but not during winters or even rain for that matter.

Not just undercoating but rust preventative sprays/inner frame coatings/cavity wax etc. Get into those inner areas that undercoating doesn't touch. Many of the products have long wands with multiple spray nozzle heads. Great for slipping into inner areas through various holes. Eastwood is a great source and there are others too.

Thanks for the photos. I am the original owner of a '69 Charger that has been in restoration for the last 14 months. The car was used as the family car and had to live outside for 20 years, so it had some rust issues, too, but nowhere near as severe as yours. Most of the rust on my car was hidden. Some of your photos look very much like mine. The left quarter panel was removed due to some collision damage in 1971 when an old geezer (like I am now) picked it out to slow him down when his gas pedal stuck in a mall parking lot. The right one was removed to gain access to internal rust.

8 Nov 22 (1416).JPG

14 Feb 23 (1203).JPG

Some of your undercoating shots look like mine. Snow drifts.
Most of that undercoating I believe was applied at the dealership back in 1968. I'm not sure if any of these cars were undercoated at the factory. I am just touching up what I can with the spray on undercoating from a can.

....and a few more. The factory taillights have seen better days, but the owner is not ready to drop $1500 on new ones, so I cleaned them up as best I could.

481.jpg

482.jpg

483.jpg

484.jpg

485.jpg

486.jpg

489.jpg

490.jpg

493.jpg

494.jpg

Looks good, but please clean the paint off of the upper shock hardware and heater box retaining nuts. You're doing yourself a favor by doing so.

Hey everyone, sorry for the long delay in postings. The car was just delivered to the owner this past Sunday, so now I can finally share the rest of the photos. We had some hiccups along the way, which is the reason why I have not been able to post until now. Enjoy!

347.jpg

348.jpg

349.jpg

350.jpg

351.jpg

352.jpg

353.jpg

354.jpg

554.jpg

555.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back