• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Super Bee Vacuum Advance: What Part Number?

Superb_Bee

Local time
8:35 AM
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have two distributors at a restoration shop (one's a donor) that is in the process of putting together one good piece and doing a re-curve. This is for my '68 Super Bee, standard 383 Magnum, 4-speed. The distributor I pulled out of the engine was for a '66 mopar -- wrong part # and date code. I bought a distributor with the right part # and date code that will be the actual unit I put back in the car.

My problem is that both vacuum advances are damaged... one blown, the other smashed in. I'm not sure either one was correct for a '68. I have managed to find a few NOS vac advances while poking around the web, but I just can't pin down the part number that came with my car when new.

I found a pdf'd 1968 Mopar parts book on-line here: http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=107. The only number I see is '8 - 27 - 308,' and this doesn't seem like any part numbers I've seen. I am used to seeing 7-digit numbers like these, any one of which might be the right one for my car: 2875096, 2098734, etc.

Can someone please give me a definitive answer regarding the correct part for my car? I'm eager to get my Bee back on the road and this is the last hurdle for them to complete the job.

Thanks and regards,
Jim

You use those numbers locate the section where the part numbers. If you look at any distributor in the picture section it will have the same number. You'll have to flip pages to the part number section. It past the picture section. You'll see 8-1-1 then 8-1-2 etc until you get to what your looking for. You might want to jump 20 pages and look for the codes. I have a 66 parts book and downloaded a 66 parts book from my mopar and found it hard to use. If you don't have any thing else...

Last edited:
Hope pictures help? this is out of my 66 parts book. Last pic is a full page of where p/n is. At the top of page you'll P/N's of distributor's assembly's find your's and go down that column.
pb1.jpg
pb2.jpg
pb3.jpg
pb4.jpg

Last edited:
Went to the MyMopar page in your post. Downloaded it and made it full screen at 75% magnification.
Go to page 143.
Go down to 383 manual trans, there are 2 dist listed. The one if you look in left hand column the upper dist it say 2 bbl carb. not yours.
The second one in same box says 4bbl carb.
So in MO that is your dist part number 2875356.
They list 2875357 as a replacement which I believe is if you ordered one from the dealer not a production number.
Now the vacuum control chamber.
Go to page 147.
In top of page it says distributor assemblies.
On the far right is 2875356 plus the replacement number.
Scroll down the column to 8-27-308 control, vacuum Part number 2875138.
IMO that is the right vacuum chamber.
Check it out and come to your own conclusion.
There's one on ebay but it for an auto. Could be the number of degrees it pulls.
That's stamped on the arm that attaches to dist plate.

Last edited:
Went to the MyMopar page in your post. Downloaded it and made it full screen at 75% magnification.
Go to page 143.
Go down to 383 manual trans, there are 2 dist listed. The one if you look in left hand column the upper dist it say 2 bbl carb. not yours.
The second one in same box says 4bbl carb.
So in MO that is your dist part number 2875356.
They list 2875357 as a replacement which I believe is if you ordered one from the dealer not a production number.
Now the vacuum control chamber.
Go to page 147.
In top of page it says distributor assemblies.
On the far right is 2875356 plus the replacement number.
Scroll down the column to 8-27-308 control, vacuum Part number 2875138.
IMO that is the right vacuum chamber.
Check it out and come to your own conclusion.
There's one on ebay but it for an auto. Could be the number of degrees it pulls.
That's stamped on the arm that attaches to dist plate.

Hi Fran,

Many thanks for all the trouble you went to to help me out. I read through your first two posts and was able to reference the part to my distributor part number which is, indeed, 2875356, verified by Frank Badalson. I went ahead and ordered an NOS vacuum advance, Part No. 2875096, which is what I came up with looking at the parts book.

I hope that is suitable for the distributor and car. I had no idea the degrees were stamped on the arms of these things. I also got word from the shop that the distributor is ready to go, less the vac advance and the little oil cap door, which is out for plating.

Kind regards,
Jim

I would check with frank if there is a difference between the 096 and the 138 vacuum control. It's probably the amount of degree it will pull. No visible difference and little if any performance difference.
The difference on hemi vacuum control is it has a 10 stamped on the arm a 440 has a different number, big deal. That number means degrees but don't ask me any questions how what or anything about it. Would like to know. Picture is to show you the number.
vac10.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back