• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1977 440 MH

moparmks

Local time
12:57 PM
Reaction score
30k miles on the engine starts right up could someone give me a good price range for something like this.

We don't have much of that laying around here anymore,, if it was as good as it sounds 800

If the rest of the motor home is still attached they should pay you to take it! And I'm not joking, most junk yards won't take old motor homes because there's nothing of value for them in the body (just junk that costs money to get rid of).

That late 70's 440 block is about the strongest you'll find. So if you're needing to build crazy power that's about the only place to start. The 452 heads are also the best flowing head of any stock head, induction hardened seats are a major plus too.

30 thousand miles in a motor home is probably equal to 2 to 3 times that in anything else. So depending on how many extra goodies are included $500 is a fair price. $800 tops unless it comes with the trans and you 'need' it.

That late 70's 440 block is about the strongest you'll find.
Agreed. An buddy of mine builds race engines (only Mopar), and said the same thing. I picked one up from a 75 MH and paid $300, and that was a deal. If it's not seized, I'd say $500-600.

I used to pick them up between $300-$500. The last one I found about 3-4 years ago I drove the MH home for $500. Pulled engine and trans. Parted it out for over $900 in parts and scrapped the rest. So, I made $400 and still have the engine and trans.
Lately, around here they seem to start at $1200 and go up to 3-4G's and more from some of these Crack heads.

If the rest of the motor home is still attached they should pay you to take it! And I'm not joking, most junk yards won't take old motor homes because there's nothing of value for them in the body (just junk that costs money to get rid of).

That late 70's 440 block is about the strongest you'll find. So if you're needing to build crazy power that's about the only place to start. The 452 heads are also the best flowing head of any stock head, induction hardened seats are a major plus too.

30 thousand miles in a motor home is probably equal to 2 to 3 times that in anything else. So depending on how many extra goodies are included $500 is a fair price. $800 tops unless it comes with the trans and you 'need' it.
If it's an accurate 30K and no issues and complete then it's a $1,000 engine minimum around here. That's it having been pulled out already. If it's still in the chassis and needs pulled, you might get $200-300 and the person pulling it will almost assuredly destroy the motorhome hacking it out of there.

Speaking of which: Just saw this on Fakebook

1705238400961.png

Bad thing around here these days is. Once I pulled the 440 and transmission out of the M.H. I drove home, parted/sold what I could, like seats, kitchen, bathroom stuff, and cab parts. No one would take the rest. I tried over 30 something scrap/ salvage/junk yards and no one would take it.
I wound up cutting it up to whatever size pieces would fit into the bed of my truck and had to scrap the whole thing myself. Luckily, I had A guy at work that burns anything wood in weekend bon fires. Took all the wood to him.
Took 4 trips in steel and 1 in aluminum to the scrap yard.
For the basically free 440 and transmission, it was not worth all the work and effort.

Auto Transport Service
Back