• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

30 wt. oil in manual trans?

have a talk to jamie from passon performance or the guys at brewers.
passon has a special oil for there boxes, he told me the exact equivalent of it was a mix of atf and 85w-90.
he said 85w90 is too thick on its own and will sometimes cause shifting hardness, and atf was too thin to protect properly, so he said put 1 qt of atf in then fill the rest up with 85w-90, my box never shifted so smooth and when i freshened it up recently it was so clean i didnt need to touch it.

but ask the pro's if you dont believe me.

i am going to try your method benno440. is that what you put in your 68 Charger? Sounds like a good combination of thin and thick to get the gears moving freely : )

i am going to try your method benno440. is that what you put in your 68 Charger? Sounds like a good combination of thin and thick to get the gears moving freely : )

sure did buddy, works well, i used castrol gear oil and castrol atf might be better brands out there but this works for me.

Brewers recommended to me to use 80-90 gear oil that had a certain specification. Don't remember just what it was , but not commonly found at local vendors. If someone wants to know, I will go out in the cold shop and look it up. 8-) ................MO

A 74 Dodge D100 pickup I owned back then came with ATF in it. After messing up a rear bearing, I went to gear oil. Shifting was harder in cold weather but we don't get that much cold here so it acted fine during the warmer months. Yeah, I was pulling a heavy load with a light duty truck but no more problems after that and I continued to abuse the truck. Also, I wouldn't have any problem with adding some ATF to the gear oil to reduce the viscosity and I've heard that even just a half a quart will work too and it's also supposed to help reduce foaming of gear oil.

If you don't like the ATF idea and want to use gear oil, just switch to 75/140 synthetic. It's really not critical. All that matters is it has SOME kinda oil in it.

Dont know if it matters in my case but I tried 10w 30 in my Ford Ranger & ran it for years with no problems. But it was recommeded & came with ATF from the factory.A friend recommended to me & I gave it a try only after he said that he had done the same thing. As for mixing different products Im not so sure about that.

My only concern with mixin stuff would be creating foam. That would suck. Course, if Jamie Passon recommends somethin, it's probably a green light cause that guy is top notch. Really in the end, just do what works for you and be did wif all dat, yo. <with my arms crossed in my best homey stance flashin gangsta signs>

Everyone that sells transmission's/parts seems to know more than the engineers that designed this stuff !:icon_rolleyes:

From the 1970 shop manual:

833.jpg

I'm thinking that you should take it back to a proper transmission dealer, have it fixed right, (80-90 gear oil) than have the person that fixed the transmission to a meer disaster pay for it

Auto Transport Service
Back