• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

318 Issues

rebootej

Local time
7:54 AM
Reaction score
Hi guys I've got a 74 318 that I rebuilt a few years ago. Id been experimenting with it trying to get a carb that ran better and it ran worse.. I put the old carb back on and drove it a few times but one day this summer sitting a light temp started to spike. I was close to home so ran home and parked the car. She sat for a bit because we had an excessively hot summer.. and the next time i went to start it up the car had a nasty knock.. Started tearing into it today. with scope found that my piston heads are looking a little rough I had some detonation issues. how serious does this look?

IMG_0193.JPG
IMG_0195.JPG
IMG_9531.PNG
IMG_0199.JPG
IMG_0200.JPG
IMG_0202.JPG
IMG_0196.JPG

looks like it will live unless too much crap came off and did in the rings
do a compression check and post back
what plugs are U running
OD trans- cool did you have to mod the tunnel in your 74?
is that oil? how are your guides and stem seals- oil will cause detonation

OK, I can't see the pictures that clearly. Do you have little "divots" in the pistons that look like they were shot with a shotgun using bird-shot in it? If so, that's detonation & is caused mainly by running 87 octane gas when you need premium, but can also be caused by excessively advanced timing & a few other things. I see that those are not stock 74 318 pistons, so that is my guess.

The MAIN thing to be concerned about if you had detonation is the top piston rings which can break & destroy a motor...divots in your pistons aren't good, but rings are critical. I suggest you drain ALL the gas, put 92/93 octane it in & see if you knock goes away.... and keep running premium forever.

On the other hand, if your pictures are showing black BUILD UP on the pistons, then buy a can of Sea Foam, pour it down in the carburetor while it's running. The engine will stall & you let it set like that for 15-30min. Then start it up & the engine will smoke like crazy. Rev the engine slightly to clear most of the smoke coming out of the tailpipe, let the engine warm up & then drive it aggressively for a few blocks...nail the throttle 3-4 times. That will clear the carbon off the pistons.

Having said all that.... after you put in premium, if you still have a piston/rod knock, then don't do any of this & take a look at rocker arms & pushrods. If all looks good then take a look at the main/rod bearings in the engine

looks like it will live unless too much crap came off and did in the rings
do a compression check and post back
what plugs are U running
OD trans- cool did you have to mod the tunnel in your 74?
is that oil? how are your guides and stem seals- oil will cause detonation

K ill check compression going to have to reassemble some things first. But there is definitely something not happy with this engine..
Yes i "massaged" the tunnel a bit, but it could use a little more if i ever pull the trans again. the biggest part i had to work on was the torsion bar crossmember and trans mount.

OK, I can't see the pictures that clearly. Do you have little "divots" in the pistons that look like they were shot with a shotgun using bird-shot in it? If so, that's detonation & is caused mainly by running 87 octane gas when you need premium, but can also be caused by excessively advanced timing & a few other things. I see that those are not stock 74 318 pistons, so that is my guess.

The MAIN thing to be concerned about if you had detonation is the top piston rings which can break & destroy a motor...divots in your pistons aren't good, but rings are critical. I suggest you drain ALL the gas, put 92/93 octane it in & see if you knock goes away.... and keep running premium forever.

On the other hand, if your pictures are showing black BUILD UP on the pistons, then buy a can of Sea Foam, pour it down in the carburetor while it's running. The engine will stall & you let it set like that for 15-30min. Then start it up & the engine will smoke like crazy. Rev the engine slightly to clear most of the smoke coming out of the tailpipe, let the engine warm up & then drive it aggressively for a few blocks...nail the throttle 3-4 times. That will clear the carbon off the pistons.

Having said all that.... after you put in premium, if you still have a piston/rod knock, then don't do any of this & take a look at rocker arms & pushrods. If all looks good then take a look at the main/rod bearings in the engine

Yes the pistons are not stock, I did a few rebuild on the engine a few years ago.
Ive only ever ran premium in this car. rocker arms and pushrods look good too. definitely afraid that it may be in the bottom end..

Last edited:
really hard to hurt a 318-
hope you are ok
what CR with those pistons?

really hard to hurt a 318-
hope you are ok
what CR with those pistons?

I know they are tough engines but this one is making some noises... yikes. Im good! I forget the compression ill have to look it up

Auto Transport Service
Back