• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 Mopar versus 383 Chevy

AR67GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:24 PM
Reaction score
Interesting video matchup between the two that I found on another forum. The little BB Mopar hung in there and even surpassed the vaulted Chevy stroker SB in some areas.

I've seen that before. Great competition between 2 very different motors. For being so different, pretty cool just how similar their performance was.

Modern Chev head vs a very vintage Mopar head, really?

That's true! But shows how good those 906 heads really are!

The mopar's 4.25 + 0.060 bore can't be ignored. Both motors had their strengths and weekneses, that's the fun of the comparison.

In all fairness the extra 7 cu in of the .060 383 probably did give it about a 7-8 HP edge on the Chevy (who knows it may have been more than a .030 overbore Chevy?) but the Mopar had more power and torque under it's dyno curves so it was still the equal or the Chevy or more IMO.

The mopar killed it outta the hole. Kinda new it would. Love the short stroke with phat bore.

If Chevy had period correct heads. Some 2.02s from a 327 or 302 I wonder how it would have shook out.

Either way it was a cool demo.

It reminds me of a big advantage for the bowtie.... price 3700 for a crate engine! With a 2.5 year warranty! Obviously an ad for blueprint engines, but still... That's great for a budget minded builder.

I know the dude just built his most in house, but I wish they would specify what he had inve$ted. Just curious. Not that it matters to somebody with a BB mopar, they have to pay they the nose always...

this has been out for a while, have to remember that freiberger and dulcich are huge Mopar ppl so they won't misrepresent the bbm too badly. A full effort high rpm 383 Chrysler with modern heads would be interesting to see vs this chevy or a stroked LS but the money difference would be ridiculous.

Auto Transport Service
Back