• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4 speed bench seat v.s. buckets shifter location?

I don't think the boot in post 12 is OEM.

Mine is rubber accordion style, like most of the rest.

I've NEVER seen a sewed up leather boot in a 62-74 Mopar of any kind.

Of course, we know never to say "never" or "always".

Anyone got pics of one installed? preferably in an unmolested vehicle.

I still have mine but had to replace it due to rodent damage. Came in the 72 RR GTX bench seat. I unfortunately do not have pictures installed.

i would never doubt Brett..
he probably has more 71 nos parts then the rest of us combined!..lol

Very interesting.

I've NEVER seen a sewed up leather boot in a 62-74 Mopar of any kind.

Of course, we know never to say "never" or "always".

Anyone got pics of one installed? preferably in an unmolested vehicle.

That is a factory original bench seat boot. The reason you don't see many is they did not survive and ended up with something else. Here is an original installed in another car I have...

IMG_8006.JPG IMG_8005.JPG

Yes Mark these are 72-4 boots One is 72 SSP 400 4 speed and the other is 73 340 4 speed... I don't have any 71 only boots I corrected that post. GLNOS had a 71 Boot and it sold for $450. You don't see those or these 72-4 bench seat boots anymore.

Last edited:
They do reproduce the 71 boot. Brewers has them and if I remember they are styled similar but don't look like a real oem 71 boot... They still don't offer the 72-4 bench boots which IMO look much better. Someone with an original 71 boot can show theirs to compare?

SB755.jpg

I don't think the boot in post 12 is OEM.

Mine is rubber accordion style, like most of the rest.

Just re-read this this guy IS working on a 72 Charger by his name not a 71. While I did not post correctly it was a 72 shifter and boot like I meant it is what he is looking for and doesn't need the that accordion style...

That would be correct. I have been looking for one for years. But 400 would be out of question.

Just re-read this this guy IS working on a 72 Charger by his name not a 71. While I did not post correctly it was a 72 shifter and boot like I meant it is what he is looking for and doesn't need the that accordion style...

I'm putting this stuff together for my 71 R/T. It was missing the original auto when I got it so I figured I'd set it up the way I would have wanted it.

I'm in the process of converting my 73 bench seat Roadrunner to 4 speed. Hardest part for me had been locating a shifter handle. I'm not trying to use the bolt in style handle.

Here are photo's of an 'E' body hump (or bucket seat '74) with short stick and bench seat shift using same hump.

I was told that I'd be shifting from the back seat if I put in a bench seat shifter with an 'E' body mount.

InsideGreyCar.PNG Interior.jpg

Last edited:
my roadrunner is 4 speed buckets no console the boot was VERY perished and I got a new one like above from brewers but the original has a LARGE H molded into the top of it

I've managed to acquire almost eveything for this conversion this week. I picked up a trans, bellhousing, clutch, linkage, pedals, and a shifter. I still need to get the bracket that welds to the frame rail, a shifter handle (I have a line on one), a hump and the bezel/boot. My next item to look for is a buddy seat and brackets.

Corrected 72 bench seat with dog leg. Even takes a different shifter boot and ring....

View attachment 390281 View attachment 390283 View attachment 390284 View attachment 390285

I am trying to find the dog bone shifter mounting plate. The one in this picture looks like it does not have much of a bend in it if any?? The ones on Brewers and Passon have a definite bend that looks to bring them closer to the driver side. Does anyone have a picture of an original and possibly some measurements?

Auto Transport Service
Back