• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440/727 Kick Down Linkage Question

168BTHPM

Werepig
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:46 AM
Reaction score
I have a 65 Coronet I bought that is a retired race car. The previous owner cobbled together what I think is A-body late style kick down linkage that is bent, cut, lengthened and welded. The car also has a POS Lokar trans mounted shifter. I say POS because there is no detent between 2nd and drive. If it's in drive and I hammer it the weight of the shifter causes it to pop back into 2nd. I called Lokar and asked them if there is supposed to be a detent between 2nd and drive. They said no just tighten the nut on the bolt that goes through the shifter handle to make it harder to shift.

I bought all new kick down linkage, brackets, throttle cable and will replace the shifter with a Quarter Stick.

The question I have is, does the lower pivot for the linkage attach where the bolt is in the picture below. There does not look like there is much room it install the kick down linkage. If the lower pivot does mount there, what is that bracket attached to the transmission for?

Thank you.
IMG_1960a.JPG

Bracket is someones creation. There should be a pivot stud in that threaded hole the bolt on the bracket is in.

I have a 65 Coronet I bought that is a retired race car. The previous owner cobbled together what I think is A-body late style kick down linkage that is bent, cut, lengthened and welded. The car also has a POS Lokar trans mounted shifter. I say POS because there is no detent between 2nd and drive. If it's in drive and I hammer it the weight of the shifter causes it to pop back into 2nd. I called Lokar and asked them if there is supposed to be a detent between 2nd and drive. They said no just tighten the nut on the bolt that goes through the shifter handle to make it harder to shift.

I bought all new kick down linkage, brackets, throttle cable and will replace the shifter with a Quarter Stick.

The question I have is, does the lower pivot for the linkage attach where the bolt is in the picture below. There does not look like there is much room it install the kick down linkage. If the lower pivot does mount there, what is that bracket attached to the transmission for?

Thank you.
View attachment 1636232
It looks like a later model (like the trans) pivot for a column shift linkage. It would have a plastic bushing snapped in the hole.
Mike

It looks like a later model (like the trans) pivot for a column shift linkage. It would have a plastic bushing snapped in the hole.
Mike
Would it sit that high? I thought it would be lower below the ear with the big hole off the bell.

Auto Transport Service
Back