• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 Source Electronic Distributor

500stroker

Local time
10:49 PM
Reaction score
I just installed a 440 source electronic distributor on my RB big block.
It appears to have a very fast advance curve, as the engine hesitates to return to idle.
Talking to 440 source is useless. They told me it did not have a flyweight type advance and they have no parts. I have not opened it up to see what it is, I thought I find some parts first.
Has anyone setup the advance in one of these?
I wish to slow the down the mechanical advance.
What parts did you use and where did you get them?
I wish I had spent the extra $ and bought the MSD setup.
It is what it is.

sounds like you have a vac leak & tuning problem.

sounds like you have a vac leak & tuning problem.

Checked for vacuum leaks none found.
Engine has been tuned and retuned with no difference. The only change made was to swap in the new 440 Source distributor.
With the engine running at idle and using a timing light, you can whack the throttle and the watch timing mark disappear.
The stock Mopar distributor I had prior was much slower and it performed well.
If it ain't broke dont fix it.

Which one did you buy??

PRO BILLET Distributor - "RB" Engine
Shown here is our new PRO BILLET distributor!! These fit "RB" (413/426/440) engines. The housings on these are fully machined from a solid block of 6061-T6 aluminum, giving them incredible strength, accuracy and a show quality finish. For those serious about performance as well as looks, these use a heavy duty centerless ground 1/2" hardened steel shaft held in place by completely sealed ball bearings. They also feature a permanently fixed extremely accurate magnetic pickup which never requires adjustment. These use "Spark Plug" style locking terminals on the cap to ensure a positive connection. Never before has such a high quality distributor been available for such a reasonable cost!! These have a performance mechanical advance curve built into them, which is easily adjustable. This includes only the magnetic pickup trigger only, so it will need to be used in conjunction with some type of ignition box, such as an MSD 6A, 6AL, 7AL or equivalent, or a Chrysler style electronic control box. This distributor can also be used with a "female" (factory type) cap, see replacement caps below. These distributors use the caps listed as having an "IN-LINE" locating tab.
In Stock

$98.95

117-1002 Street Distributor -
Street Distributor - "RB" - Ready to Run - New
For more mild street applications, we also have our Ready to Run Street distributor. These fit "RB" (413/426/440) engines. They feature a simple 2 wire hookup, and no external ignition box is required. A completely maintenance free magnetic pickup accurately triggers the ignition system. The increased output of the internal ignition system included in these far outperforms a stock ignition and will help to smooth out the engines idle, make starting easier, and provide a stable spark, even at higher engine RPM's. These also feature a performance advance curve setup at the factory, and a vacuum advance is included to help with fuel economy. Just like the PRO BILLET versions, these use "Spark Plug" style locking terminals on the cap to ensure a positive connection. An excellent choice for street use. This distributor can also be used with a "female" (factory type) cap, see our replacement caps listed separately. Current stock of these distributors use the caps listed as having an "IN LINE" locating tab.
In Stock

HEMI-ITIS I purchased the "Pro Billet Distributor" which came with no paperwork.
Please foreword me a copy of the curve adjustment procedure and parts list. My e-mail address is [email protected]
Thanks in advance

Is there any kind of paperwork and parts for these distributors?
If I do not receive a reply I can only assume that there are none available.
Which will lead me to removing it and returning it.

I'd return it anyway and pump a few extra bucks into an MSD pro billet ready to run. I have a stroked 440 Six Pack to a 494 with 555 hp and 600 tq. Happy with the system and you don't need the ignition box. It's a 500 and self contained unit. The Dyno Dr. says she's Violent...... :angry4:

I have one, not using it since I switched to the firecore one.

That 440S dizzy has two tabs on the inside that you have to manually bend up towards the shaft in order to get the total advance down. mine was up like 50+ with no way to just twist it down once installed, I called Procomp Electronics who supplies these to 440s and they sent out a spring kit but didn't need it. Once the tabs are bent and set to the total you want you should be good.

Is there any kind of paperwork and parts for these distributors?
If I do not receive a reply I can only assume that there are none available.
Which will lead me to removing it and returning it.

500stroker: If 440source can't/won't help you with a simple request about a product they sell I would recommend sending it back for a refund and dealing with MSD products through Summit or Jegs, where customer service actually means something. BTW, I don't believe Al (HEMI-ITIS) works for 440source and therefore probably won't be sending you instructions or a parts list.

Which one did you buy??

PRO BILLET Distributor - "RB" Engine
Shown here is our new PRO BILLET distributor!! These fit "RB" (413/426/440) engines. The housings on these are fully machined from a solid block of 6061-T6 aluminum, giving them incredible strength, accuracy and a show quality finish. For those serious about performance as well as looks, these use a heavy duty centerless ground 1/2" hardened steel shaft held in place by completely sealed ball bearings. They also feature a permanently fixed extremely accurate magnetic pickup which never requires adjustment. These use "Spark Plug" style locking terminals on the cap to ensure a positive connection. Never before has such a high quality distributor been available for such a reasonable cost!! These have a performance mechanical advance curve built into them, which is easily adjustable. This includes only the magnetic pickup trigger only, so it will need to be used in conjunction with some type of ignition box, such as an MSD 6A, 6AL, 7AL or equivalent, or a Chrysler style electronic control box. This distributor can also be used with a "female" (factory type) cap, see replacement caps below. These distributors use the caps listed as having an "IN-LINE" locating tab.
In Stock

$98.95

117-1002 Street Distributor -
Street Distributor - "RB" - Ready to Run - New
For more mild street applications, we also have our Ready to Run Street distributor. These fit "RB" (413/426/440) engines. They feature a simple 2 wire hookup, and no external ignition box is required. A completely maintenance free magnetic pickup accurately triggers the ignition system. The increased output of the internal ignition system included in these far outperforms a stock ignition and will help to smooth out the engines idle, make starting easier, and provide a stable spark, even at higher engine RPM's. These also feature a performance advance curve setup at the factory, and a vacuum advance is included to help with fuel economy. Just like the PRO BILLET versions, these use "Spark Plug" style locking terminals on the cap to ensure a positive connection. An excellent choice for street use. This distributor can also be used with a "female" (factory type) cap, see our replacement caps listed separately. Current stock of these distributors use the caps listed as having an "IN LINE" locating tab.
In Stock
I purchased the 117-1002 Street distributor from 440 Source it works great but the down side is no matter what I have tried I cannot get my Tach to stop jumping all over the place. I tried a filter and a resister and nothing works, ready to send it back and put my Mopar performance distributor back in.

Are you using a solid roller with a bronze gear?
No Hydraulic roller with a bronze gear. I was running the melonized steel gear from Hughes Engine and it got to the point where I was wondering if that was the issue why I broke two shafts but on the other hand why didn't I have the same problem with the Mopar performance distributor that ran fine. What I did find though is the Pertronix distributor shaft has a Rockwell of 56 which is pretty hard compared to the Mopar performance distributor shaft had a Rockwell of only 6

Are you using a solid roller with a bronze gear?
The reason I went with this distributor is that I originally had a Pertronix flamethrower 3 and I Broke a distributor shaft after about 400 miles and only going 30mph. Pertronix made good and sent me another one which I broke another shaft after only about 300 miles and this one broke backing out of my driveway. Still waiting to hear back from Pertronix on that one. A buddy of mine has a Rockwell tester and we tested both shafts does Pertronix have a hardness issue not sure, but after the second one broke that's when I changed to the bronze gear. So I bought the 440 source street distributor and it's just been a headache trying to get the tach to work. Autometer has a tach that they say is compatible with HEI distributors but can't guarantee it will work with my distributor. So that's where I am.

The filter cct below should work with HEI. Change R7 to 1.8 k ohm.

img292.jpg

I have never heard of a distributor shaft breaking like that..........
Not one but 2 in the exact same place and both were clean breaks. They both broke right at that roll pin that holds that sleeve on, that sleeve prevents the shaft from moving up under centrifugal force. One thing I did notice is that roll pin on the Pertronix distributor is .025 thou bigger than the one in the Mopar performance distributor, does that have any thing to do with the breakage I don't know other than the hardness of the shaft is way harder than the Mopar shaft by 50 rockwell. Another possibility is that the shaft is not perfectly in line with the oil pump gear putting excessive pressure on the shaft IDK. The really strange thing is the first one broke when I was only going 30 mph and the second one broke when I was pulling out of my driveway. Then is there a possibility that the Hughes Engine Melonized oil pump gear have a play in the issue being a steel gear who knows but the Mopar distributor ran for months with the Melonized gear without any problems

IMG_3368 (2).JPG

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back