• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 with 7qt pan - high volume oil pump or no?

Giggitybit

Local time
11:08 AM
Reaction score
Okay all - got a 78 440 - freshly rebuilt to mostly stock spec - I obviously have to change the oil pan to put it in my 74 Charger - 7qt pan and pick up and a windage tray - that's fine... but while the motor is out, and the pan is off - this is probably the BEST time to do a High Volume pump right? Any compelling reason not to toss it in?

The end result of this motor has reason to need a little extra flow but I'm not hurting anything with a high flow on a stock motor right? (I know it SHOULDN'T but I'm being cautious)

any other thoughts while I've got her out? I know I know cam - but seriously I have no idea the custom spec I'll need in the end (and I'd be doing timing chain and heads when that time comes - so right now, it's just what would you do with the pan off?

I put a HV pump on my 77 440 with a 7 qt pan.
I'm happy I did but I don't really have any data to back up why I did it.
Pump was the same price was the likely deciding factor!! :)

The only thing that requires more volume is loose clearances. If all the clearances that see an oil hole are within factory spec then you don't need a HV pump. It's a supply and demand thing. I'd also use the black 70# spring.

I just freshened mine up.
Added a 10.10 forged crank, heads reworked, new cam, lifters, rings and timing chain.
I didn't change the cam bearings. It runs like a top on pump gas!
Idles at about 35 PSI on the gage when it's hot.

The only thing that requires more volume is loose clearances. If all the clearances that see an oil hole are within factory spec then you don't need a HV pump. It's a supply and demand thing. I'd also use the black 70# spring.

Well, not the ONLY thing - using a pair of oil cooled turbos normally requires a bit more volume too ;)

grr... 7qt pan might fit - but you can't drop the motor/tranny with it on =(

found that out at 2am - pulled the pan and volia!

First a loose engine needs a high pressure pump on a tight enine high pressure blows the oil away on a loose one it maintains pressure. A high volume pump don't raise pressure it increases volume and in doing so the oil stays cooler. High volume is just plain good engine insurance. Leave the trans out and you can set the engine with the pan on it. I like to slide the transmission back between the torsion bar crossmember and floor. Its out of my way and cake to move forward and bolt it up. If you've not already done it line the flex plate bolt holes up on the torque converter and mark them you'll be glad you did.

yeah, it's all in there now - schumaker mounts make life easier - but that was still a bitch. had to ding the **** outta the headers multiple times. I got the headers to make life a little easier until I toss the turbos on - guess easier is relative =)

got a new question but I'll post in in a new thread =)

Auto Transport Service
Back