• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

493 stroker cam

stickman77

Local time
5:56 PM
Reaction score
building a 493 stroker and I'm leaning toward a 60305 Lunati voodoo cam. Will this cam be a good fit for a 493 without having an annoying radical idle?..Car will not be raced, strictly a street car...10.5 compression, aluminum heads, 727 T/F, 3.55 posi, 28'' tires, 9 1/2 dynamic torque converter 3400 stall, 850 CFM proform carb...

that might be OK if your using a dished piston or larger CC chamber on the head.

from personal experience i used flat tops with my last 496, the compression with the 75 cc Edelbrock RPM heads ended up and 11.6 to one.

i had a cam one size smaller that what your thinking about, and i had alot of problems with detonation

personally id go one size larger in a Hydraulic or solid roller

I have a combo similar to yours with the same cam you mention . I have a 400 bored .040 with a 4.15 crank 88 cc ported 452 iron heads . My compression is 10.5 & I run 93 octane pump gas . The car weighs 3750 without me in it & is street driven with plans to go to the track occasionally. It has a 727 tranny with a 3500 stall a manual valve body & 4:11 gears. The car is great on the street & runs like a scalded dog !

I have a 493 in my car and I use a solid flat tappet cam thats a custom grind I got from Dwayne Porter. Was no more money then an off the shelf cam but the cam he ground for me makes me good power and lets me run on 92 pump with no ping at all. His phone# is 802-951-1955 if you would want to talk to him. Ron

I used Bullet Cams I am very happy give them a call and they will get you a custom for your car exactly. In the meantime I had a 493 with Iron heads and ran a 238-246 cam and it was great and had good street manners

I like the choice. I think it will have somewhat of a chop in the idle though. Not terrible but not a stock smooth idle quality.

some of the guy here told me I should call dywane porter. And I'm glad I did he will match the cam to the rest of your combo head flow compression gears ect ect. And also what you want to do with car. my 493 is at the machine shop getting assembled now. I cant wait the engine builder said its gonna run like rapped ape

Dwayne is a great asset for you. He's very up on milder grinds that make crazy power. The 496 I did two years ago with his grind makes more than 1.1hp/inch through manifolds and stock exhaust, and is heading close to 600hp with headers and better exhaust.

Auto Transport Service
Back