• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5.7 Alternator and Compressor Clearance Issues

chtampa

Local time
1:25 AM
Reaction score
69 B-Body, 2006 5.7, Truck front cover, MP intake and I don't want to change the choices at this stage. I am getting preliminary cut and fab measurements for the lower part of the Air Grabber air cleaner. It looks like 2.5" lower and 1" forward to mate up to the ductwork(compared to my 383 car). The air seal surface of the air cleaner is touching the factory compressor and the alternator on the front before I start trimming. Are there simple choices to get a shorter profile that will bolt on for these two parts?
Air Cleaner.JPG

Move the ac out towards the drivers side and lower it. I did that on mine, but used a Sanden 508 compressor. Very simple to do, just fab a couple of stout brackets and your in business.

The AC compressor will have to move I believe, the factory lines make a big right angle out the top correct? I have an 03 truck set up that I need to gain an inch or so with and the lines are the highest part. Mine is not a air grabber, but its running the factory 6.1 intake and the A/C is the highest. I also believe there looked to be like an inch to be taken out of the alternator mounting brackets if needed. Perhaps mine is different though.

Use a sanden compressor and you can clock the lines where ya want.

I took the alternator to a local rebuilder and he removed the rectifier and replaced it with one that the leads bolt and plug on the back. That looks like I will gain about 1-1/2" so I am on my way. Looking at a Sanden Compressor to see if I can make brackets that will work.

Sanden does not have an interchange for the 5.7 listed. Does anyone know of a different oem design inlet/outlet location for the 5.7? Van, cars etc?

You might have to see if they have a non model specific one, like a retro-fit version as one for your truck application would mount in the same spot. Just spitballing, but if you are fabbing brackets and lines anyway, could just relocate the compressor you have?

Timing cover has fixed mounts and compressor has fixed mounts. Older parts would be easier, it all had brackets. The newer parts all seem to be integrated.

I can see the differences now after looking at your picture more closely. These are an '03 Ram which must be the brackets you were speaking about as I am hopeful I can modify these slightly to gain the 1" of hood clearance that I need.

IMG_1354.JPG IMG_1352.JPG IMG_1353.JPG

The a/c lines (manifold) at the compressor is an easy change if that is your problem.

Sanden 508 compressor is universal, you’ll need to make brackets.

Picking up a core today to check out the fit.

Auto Transport Service
Back