• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 charger fender tag / vin tag number differences? should there be?

stephenlocke

Local time
4:51 AM
Reaction score
Looking at a 68 charger and want to cross validate the fender tag, vin tag and radiator support stamp.
radiator support and fender tag match but last 6 numbers on vin tag on dash are different!
is this normal? Found another example online and wanted to check?

In 68 the rad support stamp was NOT the VIN. It's supposed to be the sales order number. My 68 RR fender tag doesn't have the last six of the VIN either and I don't recall if the rad support number has the So or some other number.

The VIN tag on the dash and the fender tag's VIN number should match. On my 70 RR the radiator support and trunk lip also match

Looking at a 68 charger and want to cross validate the fender tag, vin tag and radiator support stamp.
radiator support and fender tag match but last 6 numbers on vin tag on dash are different!
is this normal? Found another example online and wanted to check?

That's normal. The sales order # which is on the fender tag should match the stamps on the body, not the vin # in `68 and earlier. Your build sheet would pull this all together if you have one. If you have the original engine and trans, they should be stamped with the vin #.

That's normal. The sales order # which is on the fender tag should match the stamps on the body, not the vin # in `68 and earlier. Your build sheet would pull this all together if you have one. If you have the original engine and trans, they should be stamped with the vin #.

Could be stamped with the VIN. 1968 Engine and tranny VIN stampings seem to have varied by plant and time of year. The driveline could be original and not stamped.

Awesome, new it would be something like that.
So basically build sheets on 68 are paramount to tying vin to fender tag etc together... thanks all.

There should be another stamped number on left trunk weatherstrip area top of 1/4 panel. I have a 68 R/T Coronet and some one told me there also is another which i am curently trying to find. i do not think the stamped numbers like on the radiator support will have the complete vin #.

Awesome, new it would be something like that.
So basically build sheets on 68 are paramount to tying vin to fender tag etc together...

Yes but there are other factory documents that can tie the VIN to the SO (window sticker, IBM inspection card, dealer invoices) but the Broadcast sheet would be the most common.

- - - Updated - - -

There should be another stamped number on left trunk weatherstrip area top of 1/4 panel. I have a 68 R/T Coronet and some one told me there also is another which i am curently trying to find. i do not think the stamped numbers like on the radiator support will have the complete vin #.

No stamped body number, regardless of the year or whether it's a sales order number (68 and earlier) or VIN (69 and later), will have the complete VIN. 69 model year cars built up until about January probably have the full VIN on the engine and transmission.

I have a '68 Charger and all I have is the plate with the Vin number. I have no broadcast sheet or fender tag. Is there anywhere I can look up what this car originally had? How can I research the sales order number on the core support? Will that tell me anything?

Is there anywhere I can look up what this car originally had? How can I research the sales order number on the core support? Will that tell me anything?

Unless you can find someone that owned the car in the past and has original paperwork OR find someone that collects broadcast sheets, window stickers, et al that has a copy of your paperwork, no and no.

There are places on the web to post your wanted requests. Moparts has large listing.

Auto Transport Service
Back