• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Coronet 440 project

Thank God finals are done for this semester and 2 weeks before the spring semester begins. After school was over I was able to get out into the garage for a few hours to work on the Coronet. I finished up welding the center section of the wheel house dehump and got things ground down close to flush. I figure I won't have to make this real pretty because no one is going to see it.

Dehump18.jpg

Dehump19.jpg

Now I can start on the back side of the wheel well. I got the new patch bent into the basic shape that it needs to be in so now I can fit it into the hole I cut out. :) I picked up a combination brake, shear, and slip roller off of craigslist to help make the rounded corners. :toothy9: Right now though, it's time for a cocktail. :VB toast:

Dehump20.jpg

Dehump21.jpg

Fingers crossed, I might be getting a Wilwood rear disk brake setup for the Coronet. It's a used system and I'll be trading my Craftsman welder for it. Right now I haven't even seen the brake kit so I can't comment yet on if it's 2 or 4 piston, size of the rotor, and things like that. The guy will be bringing the kit by my house this Saturday to see if we can make a deal. I really want this brake setup but I still have to be able to walk away if the deal's not right. I just hope the deal is right.

So the Wilwood disc brake kit turned out to be an antiquated K-H 800 H2 rear disc brake kit with a Direct Connection proportioning valve. :icon_cry: I did trade him the welder for the kit and CASH!!!! :headbang: So it worked out ok.

So the Wilwood disc brake kit turned out to be an antiquated K-H 800 H2 rear disc brake kit with a Direct Connection proportioning valve. :icon_cry: I did trade him the welder for the kit and CASH!!!! :headbang: So it worked out ok.

Picture please? That's great to hear, you going to be getting the matching set for the front?

Picture please? That's great to hear, you going to be getting the matching set for the front?

Ok here is a pic of the kit. I did find out that there is a company that still makes parts for this K-H 800 K2 kit, so I guess that's a good thing. If I can find 2 more of these calipers I will mount them 2 per wheel in the back. I guess this was a common thing to do back in the day. They are pretty old.

KH 800 K2.jpg

I do have another Craigslist score. A new Quicktime Bell housing for the 440 to T56 mod That I'm doing. I picked this up for $400.00. The guy selling it bought the wrong one so he had to get a different bell housing. I don't know why he couldn't have returned it but his loss is my gain. :headbang:

Quicktime Bellhousing.jpg

Two weeks now at the new job and they fire up the dyno cells. It looks like my desk is positioned right on top of the engine dyno cells. All day I heard the drone of what sounded like a V8 reving between 2000 and 6000 RPM. Can it get any better than this!!!!! It was like music to my ears. Where else can I combine my two passions of computer networking and cars? If you go to Summit racing.com and do a search for Mahle, that is the company I work for. They make engine parts for the automotive industry and aftermarket.

That's awesome, glad to hear you found a nice quiet job haha.

A little warning incase you haven't already learned but you have to run a factory starter with that bellhousing. Great score on the Quicktime!

Last edited:
john, you get to play at home and at work it does not get much better than that.

john, you get to play at home and at work it does not get much better than that.
Ok I can finally reply to quotes. I think this upgrade was a little like giving birth but now that it's over it's starting to work well.

Yea Johnny I like this job. My fingers are crossed that I will go direct, as right now it is still a 6 month contract.

With the new job, (yes I have another new job) and school I'm finding it hard to work on the Coronet. I guess the old saying, "you either have time or money but not both" is very true. I did bite the bullet and bought the 440 Source 512 stroker kit. With the kit I also got the ultralight crankshaft. It cuts, like, 8 pounds off the rotating assembly. The guy at 440 source asked me all sorts of questions about what I want and what I'm going to use. One of those questions was what heads I intended on using. My reply was I'm not sure yet it's between the Edelbrock and the 440 Source heads. Well to get me the best kit possible he wanted me to make a choice. My choice was the 440 Source heads. I was leaning that way anyway. So we come up with the kit that's right for me and he asks me why I didn't have the Trick Flow heads as a choice? I don't know that much about them I tell him. He tells me how everybody who has bought a stroker kit and ran the trick flows loves the combination. He then proceeds to tell me how they outflow the ported 440 Source heads and they are roughly the same price as the 440 Source ported heads. That sort of impressed me. He would rather sell the competitions heads than his own companies head because it works better. I guess I'll be saving up for the Trick Flows next. Once the kit made it to my house I was impressed with the quality of the parts. Here's a pic of the rods next to a six pack rod.

440 Source 01.jpg

They are just as beefy and probably a little bit beefier than the six pack rod. When I get the time I'll take more pics and post them. Untill then it's back to the homework.

I'm a little closer to getting this wheel well done. One more piece to fit and it's done. Hopefully I'll be able to fit the last piece tomorrow so I can move on to the next. Now that I'm getting used to my work schedule I might be able to start getting out to the garage every night and do something to the Coronet.

MiniTub_R_11.jpg

MiniTub_R_12.jpg

MiniTub_R_13.jpg

Well the wheel well is finally done. Just a few things to attach and on to the next.
MiniTub_R_13.jpg

MiniTub_R_14.jpg

The next thing is a little cooler. :) Look what I got in the mail today. A new set of Trick Flow heads for the 440.

TrickFlow01.jpg

Here's the exhaust ports CNC ported.

TrickFlow02.jpg

And the intake ports

TrickFlow03.jpg

The combustion chamber that intake valve is huge!!!!!!

TrickFlow04.jpg

And one for the ladies hahaha

TrickFlow05.jpg

Always nice to start getting the "Fer Racin" parts, heads look great!

Lots and lots of cut, weld, grind, going on to get the under seat floor to fit the wheel house.

Pictures???? You know we like our car ****.

Engine in place and running. Trans converted over to manual from an automatic. Doors installed, glass replaced, and converted to electric. Lift installed. Wiring done. This is how I spend my summer. Getting my sons Cherokee running the way he wants. Now that it's done I can start back on the Coronet?.............Oh wait............My daughter blew the engine in her Concord. Sometimes kids can test a fathers patients. At least I like my job that takes the rest of my time. LOL I'm hoping that when she can get the engine it will be a weekend to get it running.

This Friday is the Mahle car show here where I work. I'm looking forward to seeing what others have. many pictures will be taken. I know one guy has a 79 Little Red Express that will be at the show.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back