• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 Charger Superbee Tribute/Restomod Build

Got back to work on the car finally, I decided to address the passenger fender which fit like crap. It as off another car (red one) and from the looks of it, it has suffered a hit right in front of the door. Someone had cut out the brace, popped out the dent (or beat it out) and then replaced the brace but just lightly tack welded it.

The top inside of the fender (part nearest the cowl and hood) was bent so the gap was horrible. I had to apply a little force via a Porta-power to get it back but only after I had cut the brace to give the fender some ability to move (the brace was not right).

I am pretty happy with the results.

IMG_8983.jpg
IMG_8984.jpg
IMG_8985.jpg
IMG_8986.jpg
IMG_8987.jpg
IMG_8988.jpg

Nice some progress, keep up the great work...

Sorted out the drivers side fender and got the headlight buckets in (grille halves are just laying in there)

IMG_9007.jpg
IMG_9008.jpg
IMG_9013.jpg

Today was a bit slow, I messed around with the hood latch plate and support for awhile and finally got it installed (loosely). I then focused on installing the wiper motor which seemed straight forward but took me a bit to get sorted out.

One thing the had me baffled was the 2 set of set nuts (as in the nuts that are pressed into panels such as the one that the hood bumpers go into). I looked online at a number of pictures of 71 Chargers none of which had 2 sets, only the one set. I was told that this was a mid-year change and one set is not used (which I believe is the front set).

IMG_9014.jpg
IMG_9017.jpg

Today somewhat sucked, I was working on the headliner (which was coming out pretty nice) and then I cut it too far and ruined it... :BangHead:

So I then moved on and spent some time sorting out the wiring harness and getting it put into the dash frame.

IMG_9025.jpg

I didn't get much done today, got the front valance on and fixed one of the front parking/turn lights.

IMG_9027.jpg

Today somewhat sucked, I was working on the headliner (which was coming out pretty nice) and then I cut it too far and ruined it... :BangHead:

So I then moved on and spent some time sorting out the wiring harness and getting it put into the dash frame.

View attachment 1596621
Yeah, sometimes you have to move on and find a win somewhere else. That wire bundling looks clean. Much better than the rat's nest behind mine.

Yeah I agree, I had a fight with the map light yesterday and lost. I had it working, then assembled it into the dash and then it didn't work... Oh well I will take it out today and see what is happening, since I am using an aftermarket harness I have to "adapt" all of the stock stuff to the harness (or the other way round depending on how you wish to view it). This requires a fair bit of planning, thinking, trial and error to make work but its all a part of the process.

I finally got the map light sorted out. Doesn't seem like a big deal but it sure took awhile because I had to replace the switch.

IMG_9040.jpg

Today I worked on the wiring some more, had to repair my rear defrost switch and install that. I also found out that I have a 2nd switch which I think is actually from a C body. It has a orange light that comes on when rear defroster is on, also it seems to have multiple settings (like 5 or 6) rather than off, low and high. I am not sure exactly when I am going to do with it.

IMG_9041.jpg
IMG_9042.jpg

So I picked up a new toy today, been looking for one for a long time. No dies and it is set up for 3ph but I can work around it all so long as the hydraulic pump works. I got it for $1000

IMG_9055.jpg

Today was a bit slow, I messed around with the hood latch plate and support for awhile and finally got it installed (loosely). I then focused on installing the wiper motor which seemed straight forward but took me a bit to get sorted out.

One thing the had me baffled was the 2 set of set nuts (as in the nuts that are pressed into panels such as the one that the hood bumpers go into). I looked online at a number of pictures of 71 Chargers none of which had 2 sets, only the one set. I was told that this was a mid-year change and one set is not used (which I believe is the front set).

View attachment 1593936View attachment 1593937
Very interesting. I went to look at the front fenders on my 71 Charger production date 12/70. Right side has 2 nuts and the left only has 1. It looks like they are both original fenders. The other interesting thing is my bumpers are in the front holes and yours are in the rear

IMG_5671.jpeg

IMG_5670.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back