• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 Charger Superbee Tribute/Restomod Build

Very interesting. I went to look at the front fenders on my 71 Charger production date 12/70. Right side has 2 nuts and the left only has 1. It looks like they are both original fenders. The other interesting thing is my bumpers are in the front holes and yours are in the rear

View attachment 1605959

View attachment 1605960
I looked at a lot of pictures and it "seemed" that the bumpers should be in the rear hole but in your LH example, it would seem that the front hole was the one to use at least I think for the early cars. I'd say that your car must have been built when the change over was occurring.

My hood only has matching pads to line up with the front bumpers. I winder how many other production differences these cars have

My hood only has matching pads to line up with the front bumpers. I winder how many other production differences these cars have
That I don't know, I have not even looked at the hood yet but its a repop AG version so it will be interesting to see where the pads are.

I have been slogging away on the electrical, slow business but it is progressing. As a bit of procrastination I spent some time cleaning and painting my new pipe bender once I confirmed that it functions. I am very happy with the results, now I just have to pony up the $$ for the dies and accessories :( Oh and of course it is Hemi Orange... LOL

IMG_9058.jpg
IMG_9059.jpg
IMG_9073.jpg
IMG_9074.jpg
IMG_9075.jpg

So yesterday I spent way too much time trying to sort out my ignition switch. As some might recall I basically made a floor shift tilt column out of Charger and C body tilt columns. These tilt columns were made by GM for ChryCo however they have some unique differences from a GM column, specifically the ignition switch. The Mopar switch looks like a GM unit but it isn't and of course no one is still making them. That said, you can adapt a common GM switch but it takes some effort.

The main difference (other than the pin layout and wiring) is the way the switch mounts to the column. On a GM there are 2 screws on the outside that hold the switch in place however Mopar decided that they wanted a screw on both sides.

This isn't a huge deal except that when you retrofit the Mopar attachment plate with a GM switch body you lose the plate that the plug retainers clip into to hold them in place. This might not be a huge issue but I do not like the idea of the ignition switch plugs just relying on friction to keep them in place.

So I had to disassembly my Frankenstein switch and modify the mounting plate so that there is now retention aspect. The green switch body is the original Mopar switch.

IMG_9081.jpg
IMG_9082.jpg
IMG_9089.jpg
IMG_9090.jpg
IMG_9091.jpg

I have been working on the wiring but needed to add some 20g rolls to the top of
my wire rack.

Also my air cleaner finally came in, I mocked up just for fun and REALLY like the look. Not sure what hood clearance is going to look like just yet but I will need to make an adapter for the TB. If I have to cut the AC base up then that is what I will do.
IMG_9100.jpg
IMG_9098.jpg

I was finally able to make some discernable headway, I got my new Legendary headliner installed. It is not perfect but it is perfect enough for what I am doing.

I also discovered that the plastic sail panels I have are for an SE (which my car is not)... I ordered some new ones from Classic.

IMG_9126.jpg

I was finally able to make some discernable headway, I got my new Legendary headliner installed. It is not perfect but it is perfect enough for what I am doing.

I also discovered that the plastic sail panels I have are for an SE (which my car is not)... I ordered some new ones from Classic.

View attachment 1614296
Those clips make life easier

Got my relays yesterday from Leash, they are definitely well built. The 4 relay box will be for my 2 fans, high beam and low beam. The single relay is for my fuel pump.

IMG_9183.jpg

IMG_9184.jpg

IMG_9185.jpg

Been working on getting the dash harness done so that I can install it. I have a few more things to sort out but I got the BH fitting pretty much wired up.

IMG_9209.jpg

On top of this I got my new pipe bender all done, installed all of the replacement stickers on it yesterday, she looks almost new...

IMG_9206.jpg
IMG_9208.jpg

Your doing great work on everything. I enjoy electrical work so the updates lately are great! And Whoa, nice pipe bender!

Auto Transport Service
Back