• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 Roadrunner Speedometer cable routing and length

nkrupa71

Local time
6:46 AM
Reaction score
Elizabeth, Colorado, Fort Collins, Colorado
The last few times I've driven my 71, the speedometer needle has been bouncing and I feel like the cable is going bad. Does anyone know what length the cable is that I should order, its an automatic car. Also does anyone have a diagram or could explain where the cable goes through the firewall to the transmission. Thanks

Try lubing it up first. Mine is like brand new now. Used to have the same problem with an awful noise too

Make sure you order the right one. If my memory is correct, some used a square and or round end of the cable. I need to order one as well as my car is going through a resto

Does the cable on the '71 come in the cab and go over the pedal assembly to the speedo or through the pedals?My cable was loose from the speedo and pushed back.Can't find routing info in the manual. Any pictures or information would be a help. Thanks POPS

Not through the the pedals. If you have a manual trans it should be on the left side of the clutch pedal.

I managed to fit a spare A body cable I had. Auto Car, cable goes through a groomer near the servo. Mine had popped out of the back of the speedo. Lying upside down in the footwell with a tor h enabled me to see up behind the dash and fit it correctly.

Auto Transport Service
Back