• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 RR, Need hood pin hole location measurements on hood , Please

rog_allen

Local time
9:14 AM
Reaction score
Hi, could some one please give me their hood pin hole in hood measurements from side hood to center of hole and from front of hood to center of hole ?
would be greatly appreciated , some one plug welded mine shut
thank you and good day to all
Rog

I found the best way to make these holes is to install the hood pin posts first. Then get some kid's clay at Walmart or wherever, and squash about a 1/2" thick square of it on the underside of the hood, about where the posts are. Then lower the hood until it makes contact with the posts.

Lift the hood back up, and you'll see where the posts went into the clay. Drill a pilot hole up through the center of that indent and your hood hole will perfectly match the location of your posts.

I found the best way to make these holes is to install the hood pin posts first. Then get some kid's clay at Walmart or wherever, and squash about a 1/2" thick square of it on the underside of the hood, about where the posts are. Then lower the hood until it makes contact with the posts.

Lift the hood back up, and you'll see where the posts went into the clay. Drill a pilot hole up through the center of that indent and your hood hole will perfectly match the location of your posts.

I would do something like that but like I said someone plug welded the old holes shut and there is a big goober of weld on bottom side , will need to drill downwards and would like to put the holes in before paint and body work thanks Rog

need to paint hood and valences yet
car 3.jpg

I would do something like that but like I said someone plug welded the old holes shut and there is a big goober of weld on bottom side , will need to drill downwards and would like to put the holes in before paint and body work thanks Rog
??? If you have a big goober of weld, just grind said goober off. You don't have to worry about heat damage to the paint.

The problem with marking a location from another car and drilling there is every car is a little bit different, and odds are your holes are going to have to be make bigger because the posts and hood are off from where those locations on the other car were. Using the clay ensures your holes are centered right where they need to be.

??? If you have a big goober of weld, just grind said goober off. You don't have to worry about heat damage to the paint.

The problem with marking a location from another car and drilling there is every car is a little bit different, and odds are your holes are going to have to be make bigger because the posts and hood are off from where those locations on the other car were. Using the clay ensures your holes are centered right where they need to be.

you cant grind it smooth being it is recessed down inside the hood reinforcement brace about a inch but ya probably best I measure from my own car some how , just figured there would be room to play with the chrome piece that mounts over the hole , thanks again

I agree with marking from the bottom, but the holes from the factory were 15/16 to 1" and the pins are , what, 7/16 or 1/2" There is also some wiggle room in the pin mounting hole on the fender so you don't have to be exact. Also, I think he was suggesting you could grind it with a die grinders or Dremel or such.

Auto Transport Service
Back