• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'72 Road Runner hood clearance

jeremya72

Local time
8:36 PM
Reaction score
Hey all. Anybody else have a '72 Road runner with a 340 or a small block Satellite? I've had an LD340 manifold on mine for years, but It has seen better days. Has been repaired (welded) once and it is warped. I need to replace it, but hood clearance is real tight on that car and the LD340 isn't much taller than stock. What are you guys running? Looks like an Edelbrock RPM is a good replacement, but its at least 1/2" taller. Will it fit?

I should say that due to percolation issues in the past I run a 1/2" heat insulator under the carb.

my 71 has the edelbrock rpm profermer lots of room, you should try blocking off the heat croseover, that keeps alot of heat off the manifold.

On my 73 Satellite 340, I run an LD340 with a Carterbrock AVS-2 and the MP unsilenced air cleaner, no issues.
Now on my 73 RR/GTX 440, I'm currently running a Performer 440, Holley 4150 and a K&N aircleaner and that's tight. I've been playing with different drop bases as of late. It'll be real fun when I switch to the Edelbrock Performer RPM that I just scored in a few months!

Thanks for the replies. I’ll order one of the performer RPM manifolds. Air gap is the same height, so I’ll probably grab one of those. That car now has a better cooling system and coated headers that I didn’t have 20 years ago, so I haven’t had vapor lock in a long time. Probably don’t even need that spacer these days.

Auto Transport Service
Back