• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 Transmission Hard shift

Jeff 69

Local time
3:42 PM
Reaction score
Help..I have a 1967 Coronet R/T 440. When the trany goes from 2 to 3rd it is very violent at low speed. When I give it a lot of gas it gets better. Now 1 to 2 nd is fine but 2 to 3 very hard shift. No shift kit in trany. I just don't know what this could be.

Thanks for your help.

More than likely overlap, 2nd and 3rd gear are commanded at the same time. What valve body is in it?
Doug

Recheck your kickdown linkage adjusment.

Mine did that too before I rebuilt it - hard 2-3 shift at low speed/trailing throttle. Much better after rebuilding but not sure what caused it. I found several possibilities that may have contributed - cracked spot weld on the shaft/cam for the throttle valve. Also the kickdown rod pin was about half the size of the hole in the lever on the transmission which created a lot of slop. All affected the linkage adjustments as mentioned above. Could have been worn parts or bad timing - Installed a TF-1 valve kit which may have helped. As a first effort to try to correct it you could pull the pan, adjust the throttle valve, adjust the bands, examine the fluid and pan and look everything over before reinstalling and then carefully adjust all the linkage for throttle/kickdown.

The guys above really know their stuff.

Help..I have a 1967 Coronet R/T 440. When the trany goes from 2 to 3rd it is very violent at low speed. When I give it a lot of gas it gets better. Now 1 to 2 nd is fine but 2 to 3 very hard shift. No shift kit in trany. I just don't know what this could be.

Thanks for your help.

Auto Transport Service
Back