• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 charcoal canister help needed

Local time
6:59 PM
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 73 Plymouth satellite with a 318. I recently started it up, from storage and had to overhaul the carb.
I ended up buying another carter 2bbl, but this one lacks the charcoal cannister and vacuum present on the old one.

If I hook the charcoal canister up to the top of the bowl, what where should I hook the purge line?

Also, what should I do with the old vacuum tap? Should I just delete the tee?

Thanks
Brian

I just deleted the charcoal filter. The tank vents to the four to one tank thing, then vents to a 1/4 hose that runs to the rear of the car. I did not reinstall the hard vacuum line from the tank. The purge input is plugged at the carb.

If you want to keep it, I think you find a line that only draws a vacuum above idle.

To function correctly, the three-nipple canister needs to be paired with a carburetor having a balanced timed port above the throttle plates designed for the purge function. Without that, it may be easier to locate a ’72 four-nipple canister, can then tee into the PCV and vacuum advance lines as designed for ’72 application.

Like a dummy, I didn't take pics of mine.

Anyone got a diagram, or better yet pics?

Right now the big line from the tank is straight into the carb at the accell pump.

I can take some pics if this doesn't help, LMK
emission01.jpg

I would get a proper 2 bbl carb and connect everything the way it was designed, it seems more trouble to plug everything and not help with the removal and burning of the gas tank vapors. you can get a California emission carb they are out there around 220.00. at the parts stores, If you have the cash save it up it will be worth it, and buy a new one or a nos they are out there keep looking.

Can you put the top plate and valve from your original on the running one?

Auto Transport Service
Back