• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

906 rocker shaft

greenmachine

Local time
2:25 PM
Reaction score
hi all
I backed my rocker shafts off while my engine was stored. I carefully rolled it through by hand once a week. I am ready to fire it off again. Can I just re-torque the rocker shafts to 25ft. Lbs. (starting in the middle and working outward), or do I need to break all bolts loose and re-torque following complete head torque sequence. Thanks. Erik

Sure. In the right order, and making sure the push rods are in place, turn them in until the shaft is seated. Then, torque them. First I do 10 lbs, then again to the final torque.
You didn't back off the head bolts, did you?

yes but pull them down each a little at a time not just starting at one end or the middle and going all the way tight
it may feel funny as you go along because someplaces you are compressing springs and some places not
pull the dist and spin the oil pump (correct direction SBM and BBM are different) pull the motor over a couple of turns while hitting the drill

...and when you're done, DOUBLE CHECK that none of the pushrods have slipped out from under the rockers. Happens easily.

Auto Transport Service
Back