• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Afx cars-who's right??-lets clear the air

Because the acid dipping was done in Ca.Aluminium, and there were a few Magnesium K members made were found to crack because the alloys work harden where deemed unusable.My info is all well documented and I have had convesations with Dick Towers,Mike Guffey,Jim Kramer and my good friend Pete Haldiman.
Where does your info come from and can you answer the questions I asked about the different torsion bar sizes and part numbers?

Were the aluminum K members available later then through Mopar or were they built by an aftermarket vendor?

Were these "parted out" A990s unsold cars or ones that people already owend and were racing? If so, were they simply buying new bodies to have converted to AWB cars? Why in the world would they start with an LA built car to ship to Detroit?

Ahhh, from YOUR post:

"and an actual A990 S/S car was cannibalized"

I believe I read it very closely and am assuming nothing. I did't SAY they were A990s from LA and was only questioning what was stated.
That's ONLY half the sentence from my statement...AGAIN, TRY READING the WHOLE statement
Exact statement from my article ----"The power for these was the 1965 A990 426 Hemi, and an actual A990 S/S car was cannibalized for the engine,(meaning a A990 motor that would have been used for a A990, not removed from) driveline and INTERIOR be used for a A990 car (SS seats, aluminum seat brackets etc.not removed from said cars) HERE'S YOUR OTHER STATEMENT - "Also I believe that all of the A990s were built in Detroit which is where Ambelwagon was. As far as I know there were never any Hemi cars built in the LA plant during this time, if ever". ----- Like I said nobody stated there was any hemi cars built in L.A.--- your statements...:edgy:

Last edited:
All parts were taken from a complete A990 and transfered to the acid dipped shell.Look up the list for 65 A990's it will show the cars listed going to the A/FX owners/drivers.
Exact statement from my article ----"The power for these was the 1965 A990 426 Hemi, and an actual A990 S/S car was cannibalized for the engine,(meaning a A990 motor that would have been used for a A990, not removed from) driveline and INTERIOR be used for a A990 car (SS seats, aluminum seat brackets etc.not removed from said cars) HERE'S YOUR OTHER STATEMENT - "Also I believe that all of the A990s were built in Detroit which is where Ambelwagon was. As far as I know there were never any Hemi cars built in the LA plant during this time, if ever". ----- Like I said nobody stated there was any hemi cars built in L.A. THESE ARE YOUR STATEMENTS , NOT MINE...:edgy:

O.K. I can agree with you on that. From the articles I read, I didn't realize they actually took the parts from a completed A990 car. I was under the understanding they just took the parts from the assembly line (A990 spare parts) before the cars were assembled. I can believe that tho, maybe I misunderstood what I was reading. Thanks.

Hey, that vid is mine. I was there, took the vids with my cheap little camera, and did all the rest of the computer crap. Reed Koeppe of Reed's Rare Mopars posted the vid in a few forums after I sent him the link.

Posturing? Are you kidding me?????

Those cars haven't been on the track and running together since probably no later than early 1966. Them guys were making hard launches on 40+year old slicks in cars that literally INVALUABLE money-wise and historically significant in countless ways. Top it off, it was all done in honor of the late Dick Towers, who was along for the ride in the first few launches of the Golden Commandos car (which he literally saved by the way, along with a bunch of other historic/priceless old racecars).

Posturing? Ya, tell that to Reed Koeppe and the rest of the guys who organized and ran that event, and especially to Dick Tower's son.

Maybe I'm way off here and reading that stuff the wrong way and you're really just saying that the event was great but my video sucked? Ya, that must be it.

:)

IMG_1181 copy cropped.jpg

:yes::yes:Yes, back on track....For sure a 'post' installed. And possibly a frame around the rear side window??? That's what I'm talking about. I would like to use this method on my AFX project. Does anyone have any info on the method and exactly what was used?????Thank you HEMI-ITIS for the close up .

I'm not 100% sure but I think they were just reworked sedan front door window frames.

:yes::yes:Yes, back on track....For sure a 'post' installed. And possibly a frame around the rear side window??? That's what I'm talking about. I would like to use this method on my AFX project. Does anyone have any info on the method and exactly what was used?????Thank you HEMI-ITIS for the close up .

You are quite welcome:yes:

None of you guys know me and I don't know you, as it is with most people posting on these web sites. When I post answers to questions like this I try to reference some type of back up or proof. I wish others would do this too, otherwise to me it is someone just offering there opinion that I can't put much stock in. Funnycar65, you may know far more about this than I do, but show me some kind of factory info that proves out what you are saying or let us know who you are? Were you there in the day, etc?

I don't have the Darrell Davis books. If I owned one of these cars I would certainly have them in my collection but that is not the case for me.

I bought the Haldiman book years ago simply because I wanted to know more about the early 426 Hemi days as there is little written about the 64 Hemi cars.

Is there any type of documentation about Landy's involvement with overseeing this acid dipping such as correspondance from Chrysler to him or a recorded interview with him prior to his death. These things need to be done with these old cars and their history as the people that were involved are dying off.

Were the cannibalized A990 taken from the cars that are listed by V.I.N. in Davis's books or were these additional cars that were never sold or delivered and the balance of these cars destroyed or what happened to them? Does anyone have recorded V.I.N.s of ANY of these factory OVERSEEN AWB cars?

So far, the primary original question has not been answered as to how many of these AWB cars were made. I am referring to ones that were made by people commisioned by Chrysler like the Alexander Bros. or Ambelwagon, not the ones built joe blow racers per the info Mopar put out so it could be done without their involvement. Does darrell Davis have all of this info recorded in his books?

Are you drunk and trying to start an argument num nuts?All info has been documented in several books and magazines.Put the bottle down and go read.I don't have to justify my years of research too you or anyone else.If you really want to know the truth, do as I and many others have and look for it.

P.S. as for the 64 A/FX cars I have the blueprints they are drawn in full scale so scanning and posting them on here isn't possable.

Are you drunk and trying to start an argument num nuts?All info has been documented in several books and magazines.Put the bottle down and go read.I don't have to justify my years of research too you or anyone else.If you really want to know the truth, do as I and many others have and look for it.

No need for talk like that or name calling. In fact it discredits YOUR demeanor.

I am polite an business like in my posts and have simply stated facts and asked reasonable questions. No one is asking you to post unreasonable size prints and in fact it is not something that anyone asked for. prints for the 64 cars have nothing to do with the questions I asked you. If would be nice if you could just asswer the questions I asked point by point. I am guessing it would have taken less time then it did for you write the post to blast me.

As I stated I don't have the books to reference and simply asked if you do and are referencing some of them. You say "go look for it" What do you call this?

If you are going to come on a web site and throw out information in a factual manner, then you DO have to justify it or you WILL be questioned, it is that simple. If you can't respond to reasonable questions for what you are puttinng out there then don't bother to post it. There are certainly others out there that understand this and have the knowledge asked for. If they are not on this site and seeing this then I am sure we will find the answers somewhere else with someone that is willing to support their comments.

Um, that's pretty rude, dude.
I really don't know a lot about the factory alterd cars and thought I might learn some interesting facts. I didn't know that there was any messing around with the doors before I read this thread.

So far I am learning most, that self diefied pompous fools still exist and they treat their knowledge as gospel. They feel neither the need or the inclination to be courteous to others who simply want to enjoy the many facets of our hobby. If in fact, this information is to be a quest of holy grail proportions, keep it. I have way better things to do than waste my time with people who treat others that don't know what they know as unworthy. Go stand alone on your pedestal of greatness.

YES, that was pretty rude, and I trust I only have to point that out ONCE for everyone. Part of what makes this a great site is WE DON'T TOLERATE that kind of thing here.

I'm sure it won't happen again. RIGHT?

Jesus dude, relax, we're just trying to sort through and see what the facts are. If you you are going to post a bunch of "facts" and not show us anything backing them up, then of course ANYBODY is going to call bullshit. You could be Walter P Chrysler and we're still going to ask for documentation. Put the kool-aid down and join our DISCUSSION.

Guess we know who the in crowd is.Mr. 6Pack jumps all over every post he doesn't agree with,thats cool.Maybe I'll give Pete Haldiman a call and see what he thinks about the copy right violation with his book getting scanned and posted.Which is why I wont scan and post the info I have.Go buy the books and read like I said last night.

Dean,

Insults aside, it's probably best just to keep all the info to yourself regardless if it's open source or not. These types of threads always turn into a pissing match. Just had one of these on another forum regarding the 64 steel-nosed Hemi hardtop cars. Either you're hoarding info, or are some sort of prima donna. You just can't win...

Auto Transport Service
Back