• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AIR Shocks ???

rowdymopar

Local time
11:32 AM
Reaction score
Back in the late 80's & early 90's a friend had air shocks on his 76'-77' Cordoba ,I remeber he would pump them too high & the Cops would pull us over & make him lower them . I would like to lift the *** end of my 67' GTX up an inch or two I have new XHD leaf springs & new XHD Monroe shocks with a coil spring on the top of the shock with no real extra lift . What opinions does anyone have on them Yea or Nea !!! The car used to have adjustable shackles in the rear of the leaf springs till I read that those are verry bad for torsion bar cars. then I converted to OEM style shackles & lost that extra 1- 2 inch extra lift in the rear that I liked soo much Thanks

The air shocks give you a hard ride! So I suggest re arching your springs.You could put super stock springs on it but that might raise it too high!

The air shocks give you a hard ride! So I suggest re arching your springs.You could put super stock springs on it but that might raise it too high!

If it is to high you could add a lowering block.

Now has anyone heard bad things about useing adjustable rear shackles , I read somewere they are bad for torsion bar susepension cars. But talked to guy from St. Louis Springs at a car show over the weekend about re-arching mine ( again mine are brand new Mopar XHD springs ) & asked about the rear adjustable shackles & he said there is nothing wong with adjustable shackles on a torsion bar car ??? I can live with it the way it is just queriuos? Thanks for responses !!!!

What do you mean by adjustable? The hangers have more than one set of holes to mount the springs to?

Yes there are sets of holes & are about twice as long as stock factory shackles

Long shackles are not good for any kind of a leaf spring car no matter what kind of spring is up front but raising the rear an inch or 1 1/2" doesn't seem to bother them but the best way is to re-arch the springs.

Harsh ride, possable destruction of the upper shock mount xmember, adjustable shackles are harmless compaired to air shocks. If your rear springs are new, theres no reason why it should sit as low as it does in your photo

When i bought my car it had them on there so it's all i know as far as the ride goes. Going from 25psi to 125psi gives me about a 2-3" lift and gives it a nice rake. One of these days i'll get HD springs.

Ok......I just bought a brand new pair of air shocks for my 69 charger. The problem is I pulled the rear end out early spring time and replaced bushing, stripped and painted everything, installed new u-bolts, but in a frenzy I did not take any pictures before reassembly......so fast forward today; I picked my new shocks up and crawled under the car and no way I can get these shocks to work; the angle is weird. I don't know if the lower shock or spring u-bolt brackets are installed correctly. Can someone send a picture of the lower shock assembly where the shock bolts to the bracket below the springs. If anyone can help I would appreciate it!

Thanks!

The shocks do sit at about 45 degrees. The shock plate mounting stud faces rearward and are on the inboard side of the spring....

125 psi with air shocks ??

.....might as well use solid struts instead of air shocks and springs.

It sounds like alot but mine are rated for 250psi max IIRC. At 125 they compress pretty well still.

Doesn't 125 PSI make it ride a little ruff? Its been ages since ive had any air shocks but i don't think i ever had them pumped up that much..

Doesn't 125 PSI make it ride a little ruff? Its been ages since ive had any air shocks but i don't think i ever had them pumped up that much..

I don't think it's too bad. Then again i'm only 19 so i don't really pay attention to how it rides as long as it looks and runs good haha. I have no problem pushing down ether side a few inches.

Using air shocks to lift the car puts a load on the upper cross-member that it was not designed to handle.

And it is just a band-aid.

And longer shackles allows the rear of the spring to move sideways a lot more under cornering loads. And it changes the pinion angle as well as the caster on the front end.

Using air shocks to raise a car 1" (about 20 psi depending on the brand) doesn't put much load on the cross member. Heavy duty shocks (non air) also put a good load on the cross member and driving down a rough road with heavy duty shocks give it a good workout. If the shock cross member can't handle 20 psi, it needs work.

Auto Transport Service
Back