• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone else have rust in these area? Need ideas and pictures. 71-4 Charger.

drobertson

Local time
8:53 PM
Reaction score
Found a couple of hard to reach rust areas on my 73 Charger, and I'm wondering if this is a common place to have rust. One big area of concern, is next to the trunk gutter, behind the quarter panel end cap. There's some rust holes on both sides of the car, and it's pretty much caged in and hard to access. Here's a picture, the only one I can find right now.
15672923_999876500118346_7588364944243562031_n.jpg

I don't really know the best way to attack this, as I'm not the kind of guy to cover up rust with fiberglass or bondo. I want to replace the steel.

These are listed to fit a 71-2, but it looks nearly identical to a 73-4 part. Might need a little trimming... this would enable me to cut out the old piece, and weld in some new steel. But I wish there was a patch for the area that is rusty.

quarter panel reinforcement.jpg

Is this the same part on my car that is rusty? It's hard to tell, but I bet it is. Just wanting to double check before I spend money and time fitting the wrong piece.

panel reinforcement.jpg

We made those pieces. The trunk rear panel extension CAN be the same between 71/72 and 73/74 BUT the section on back of the extension is definitelly diff.

The rear panel on trunk wasn't replaced even it looks rusted on the overlaped area with the extension, It was still "decent" to keep it there
IMG_3553.JPG
IMG_3554.JPG
IMG_3555.JPG
IMG_3668.JPG
IMG_3692.JPG
IMG_3588.JPG
IMG_3589.JPG
IMG_3578.JPG
IMG_3579.JPG
IMG_3581.JPG

Sorry, they can be uploaded in disorder.

Last edited:
I don't have pics finished but all that area is already rebuilt, including the new AMD trunk gutters, trunk floor extensions and locally made quarter panel skins

With the pieces of back of quarter extensions removed ( and new ones made ) you can notice how diff are from the 71/72

Last edited:
Wow, that's fantastic work Nacho! Those were the answers I were looking for. Thanks.

I do have another question though, I was looking at AMD LH 71-2 Charger outer wheelhouse, and in the description it says "modify for 73-4" would you happen to know the difference?

I'll never understand this hatred of Bondo. I keep watching all these car restoration shows where experts are appraising cars, then when the body work starts they find Bondo and go into a panic about replacing it with steel. The fact that a repair done 10, 20, 30 years ago, that they couldn't tell was Bondo by looking at it, means nothing to them.

Bondo works, is cheaper, and it's easier to work with. I say screw the bragging rights of steel. :)

Wow, that's fantastic work Nacho! Those were the answers I were looking for. Thanks.

I do have another question though, I was looking at AMD LH 71-2 Charger outer wheelhouse, and in the description it says "modify for 73-4" would you happen to know the difference?

Dunno really, BUT the quarter paneles are diff on bottom half sections just on front lower body line. Has being told Thats why the 71/72 molding doesn't fit correctly at least. Maybe thats why wheelhouse is not a direct fit but needs mods

I thought I should give you guys an update. All parts I asked about, do in fact fit a 73-4 Charger. Except the trunk extension end piece support, which is easily modified to fit the 73-4. Here's picture I snapped. More to come soon.

110.jpg 109.jpg

Friend is parting out a 73 in Denver CO do you need any sheet metal sections? Sent PM if I can help.

I'll never understand this hatred of Bondo. I keep watching all these car restoration shows where experts are appraising cars, then when the body work starts they find Bondo and go into a panic about replacing it with steel. The fact that a repair done 10, 20, 30 years ago, that they couldn't tell was Bondo by looking at it, means nothing to them.

Bondo works, is cheaper, and it's easier to work with. I say screw the bragging rights of steel. :)

it has its place..
replacing sections of missing metal is not one of them..

Auto Transport Service
Back