• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone use "original" formula Black Acrylic Laqcquer on thier dash with any luck?

idrivemopar

Local time
10:56 PM
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am just curious, i picked up the "original" formula black acrylic lacquer paint for the dash and steering column on my 73 Roadrunner, and the end result is the look is correct, but the paint is rough, and my painter has tried twice to get the paint to go on smooth, but no such luck, it always comes out as he calls it "hairy".

So, has anyone used this to resotre thier dash, and if so, how can it be made smooth, is there a step missing here in the process? I like the nice dark look to it, and would like to keep that original look.

Thanks!

I believe the OEM finish on the dash is indeed a slight texture.

VERY difficult to duplicate.

Tell us more about "original"...

Thats right, it should have a very slight texture, but not rough like 120 grit sand paper. The problem is not a lot of painters these days know how to lay down Lacquer properly, meaning it drys too fast and ends up being rough or "hairy" as they call it.

Thankfully my new paint shop has some old school experienced painters, and they are going to try some test panels in both lacquer and enemal paint. So, what i meant by "original", is i have been told that 71 to 74 used a paint that goes by Suede Black or Jewlers black, and its nothing like a standard trim black because it has some very small metallic flake in it that gives it a nice deep black but not glossy and the metallic flakes give it a bit of irridecense i guess is the best way to explain it. Instrument specialities has the original lacquer mix and hopefully we can get that to lay down properly.

Anyway, the "original" look is very distinctive and i would like to keep that look. Trim black or 20% gloss just doesnt look right, too boring.

There is a thread, either here or FABO, that has the actual codes and formulas for all of the OEM interior paint textures.
IIRC, there were five of them.

There were additives for texture listed.

Sorry I can't be more help, but I definitely remember the thread.

I've always been exremely leery of messing with dash and steering column paint, as it seems no one can get it right.
I'd rather have a slight "patina", than something totally and obviously incorrect.

I find it very interesting that you mention a texture additive, i wounder if thats maybe the issue, but i was under the impression the dry time has to be perfect to achieve the correct texture however slight it should be.

Give me a while to search through my archives.

This is something that I would probably have copied and saved.....

I would like to see it also YY1

Can't find it in the site search...could have also been FCBO.

Still looking through personal docs.

I had a manual floor shift column that needed a color change to black, and wasn't looking for a perfect match so I went to the local store to see what would be close. I ended up buying some rustoleum textured paint for plastic and shot the column, and was impressed how close it came to the factory paint in texture and sheen. If you aren't looking for a perfect match, this stuff would get you about 90-95% of the way there....at least for the black.

Auto Transport Service
Back