• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake light gremlin

Roughbird72

Local time
12:37 AM
Reaction score
I was doing the usual light check on my 72 Roadrunner & found that i had no brake lights. Running lights & turn signal lights work.
When i apply the brake the right turn signal light in the dash comes on ... ???
I have replaced the fuse & bulbs. The brake light switch seems to work, for the turn signal light in the dash. Any ideas where to start looking?
Jeff

You have a bad turn signal bulb.

I would do some probing and testing with a test light at the turn signal switch. You have 1 hot lead at your brake light switch the other runs to your turn signal switch and powers your brake lamps when the brake light switch is activated. If you wiggle the turn signal lever and can get your brake lights to work, then you know where your problem lies

Last edited:
Thanks guys!
It ended up being the right outboard bulb socket. Cleaned up the sockets & ground, then applied a little dielectric grease on the bulbs. Works fine now:thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back