• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bullseye!.........'71 Dodge Dart, right at home @ FBBO

Propwash

Local time
5:24 AM
Reaction score
Well Fella's...Had to do it. Had to get another project. Had to burn up the wallet, get back to the sleepless nights and tear into another Mopar. Last but not least, had to put it's revival on B-Bodies. Why? Cause this is home, hanging with you cats. So, if you fella's don't mind, there will be a little Dodge Dart hanging around the joint.

1st off, I want to give a big thanks to FBBO/FABO wingcarenvy. I bought this car from him and he's been nothing but honest, straight and an all around decent guy to deal with. He's gone far beyond typical car sale etiquette to ensure I knew exactly what I was getting and would walk away happy. So, thanks again!

2nd off, change of direction with the motive behind the build. I built the bird for myself and the family roots from where it stemmed. The Dart, well it's going to be the wife's car. Even though the car will not be considered mine, I plan on putting just as much (if not more) heart into this car as the last. She watched the roadrunner go from a pile of rust to everything I've ever wanted from a Mopar. Along with that, she's sacrificed our time together, cancelled plans, bad moods and our funds in the process. Now it's time to pay that back. So there's mechanical/electrical features of this car that I will apply, and there's decisions that she will make as well.

So.......1971 Dodge Dart. California Car. Originally a little 6-with it's tower of power. Auto on the column, hamster wheel 7 1/4 rear. Original Color EV2 Hemi Orange, with a vinyl top. This car is a far cry from crusty, rusty cancer ridden Plymouth that showed up in my driveway a few years ago. This car for the most part is solid. But have no fear, I could not pass on some sort of surgery. Being a vinyl top car over in Cali, she split and on came the rust. So, the car will need a new roof skin and deck filler work.

The wife decided the car is a "He", so here "he" is early this morning, getting loaded up in Santa Ana California, headed for the north:

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

I was a bit weary, but sick of listening to endless shipping Brokkers pitch's and went with Uship. Ended up hooking up with a really really nice older gentleman that is a private OTR operator. Super nice guy, great to deal with. Spoke with him earlier today and the car should be here by this weekend.

I've already picked up a few parts for the car. My big priority was a roof. AMD, Goodmark, Sherman or others do not make a roof for these cars, so it was back to the old days, and find myself a donor. Well, weekend before last I took a 9 Hrs one way trip to southern Kentucky to get one. 9 Hrs of driving, about 3 minutes of work with the Sawzall..lol The guy and his wife I bought it from were super nice folks, great southern hospitality. He's has about 60-70 Mopars tucked down a hill in the holler. Dusters, Darts, Coronet's, Superbee's, Satellite's, Roadrunner's and even a few Chargers. Not really any E-Body stuff. I was like a kid in a candy store. I can give someone his phone # if you're looking for parts. Decent guy to deal with. Anyways, happy with my purchase, got a good deal, Kentucky is a pretty state, Illinois folks drive like angry badgers and someone really needs to plant some freakin tree's in Indiana.

Here's the donor roof:

e.jpg

So......I do dig the original Hemi Orange paint, but that choice is not up to me. That being said, here's some things that i'm pulling the trigger on.

my other recent purchase:

f.jpg

340 Engine. Forged crank, forged rods and pistons....will be warmed up to 400-450HP

Other upgrades to come:
-A833 4 speed conversion, Hurst shifter (have some of the parts)
-A-Body 8 3/4 rear (have already), 3:55 Gears, Suregrip or Eaton Trutrac
-11 x 3" C-Body rear drum upgrade (have already)
-Front Disc Brake Conversion
-Small bolt pattern to Big bolt pattern conversion all around
-Front/Rear sway bar
-Subframe connectors
-Dual A-body/Coronet-Superbee hood scoops

That's just what i have on my radar for now. Anyways, I'll end this book for now. No ones like to watch 10 minutes of credits before the movie starts. It's good to be back in the ranks. I look forward to continuing the hang here in resto threads. Sorry it's not a B-Body, but i'm not going to go hang somewhere else because of a vowel instead of a consonant. Besides FABO uses pink borders and they have there own roaming drama club. Me, my cars and what I do belongs here. See you around guys!

a.jpg b.jpg c.jpg d.jpg e.jpg f.jpg

If you even put half the effort you put into your roadrunner this car is going to be gorgeous. Good luck with it!

Awesome sounds like its gonna be a sweet project! I like the Darts, my dads got a 70 swinger he just restored as his daily driver. Awesome that you're gonna put a 340 in it. Look forward to following this.

Nice score, looking forward to seeing it go together right here at FBBO. Your a lucky man to even have a wife that is not only interested in your hobby but wants to be a part of it "that's awesome". Congrats and I agree Kentucky is a beautiful state (bought the Charger there). Good luck Prop

Hey Propwash - great to have you back on the forum and getting ready to build another car. For sure, I'll be following along on your build and you'll be teaching me a thing or two along the way . . . no doubt about that !

Looking forward to your car showing up and for you to get started on the build - let the metal start flying ! ! !

Can't wait to see what you do to the Dart . . .

Glad you found your next project Will - and that you are willing to share the experience with us B-body guys. Uship is one of the biggest scams in the business world imo. I went through months of broken promises with several different companies. Ultimately, I had to file a claim against 2 of them to get money back. I did manage to get every penny back, but it wasn't easy.

Cool project, with that drive line kinda sounds like the wifey is a bit of a gear head herself.
I sure don't mind your build on here, I love em all and appreciate the level of craftsmanship I saw you put into the Runner, but you may find some with a pretty narrow mindset, oh and god forbid you post a pic with a Chevy in the background.

Congrats on the new addition Will, I hope all goes well with U Ship (fingers crossed) and it's cool that your wife shares your passion. I dragged mine to pick up a '68 in Columbus once. We got out of the truck and looked the car over and I said "What do you think ? She just shrugged. I said "You really don't give a rats ***, do you ?" She says "No, not really"

Sigh. Well, at least I get to pick the colors :)

Awesome sounds like its gonna be a sweet project! I like the Darts, my dads got a 70 swinger he just restored as his daily driver. Awesome that you're gonna put a 340 in it. Look forward to following this.

Thanks rebootej. I've had a couple darts in the past. Liked both of them. Don't think they're quite as sturdy as our B-Bodies, but never the less, still fun to zip around in.

Nice score, looking forward to seeing it go together right here at FBBO. Your a lucky man to even have a wife that is not only interested in your hobby but wants to be a part of it "that's awesome". Congrats and I agree Kentucky is a beautiful state (bought the Charger there). Good luck Prop

Thanks 747. I am blessed and grateful. No clue how she saw past the wreck of a Plymouth in our garage for months on end, but she did. I'll be happy to see her behind the wheel of her own

Hey Propwash - great to have you back on the forum and getting ready to build another car. For sure, I'll be following along on your build and you'll be teaching me a thing or two along the way . . . no doubt about that !

Looking forward to your car showing up and for you to get started on the build - let the metal start flying ! ! !

Can't wait to see what you do to the Dart . . .

Great to be here and excited about being back in the ranks of the resto club! Thanks Kahn!

Glad you found your next project Will - and that you are willing to share the experience with us B-body guys. Uship is one of the biggest scams in the business world imo. I went through months of broken promises with several different companies. Ultimately, I had to file a claim against 2 of them to get money back. I did manage to get every penny back, but it wasn't easy.

Thank you sir! Sounds like I got pretty dang lucky Joel. Sorry to hear about your experiences. Fortunately I was able to get hooked up with a simple honest fella, just looking to make a living like the rest of us. I'll definitely remember your experiences come next time.

Glad this is getting underway Prop .. excellent choice on the car

Thanks tallhair! Glad to be back in the saddle.

Cool project, with that drive line kinda sounds like the wifey is a bit of a gear head herself.
I sure don't mind your build on here, I love em all and appreciate the level of craftsmanship I saw you put into the Runner, but you may find some with a pretty narrow mindset, oh and god forbid you post a pic with a Chevy in the background.

Thanks 440+6. The Dart should be a pretty fun ride for her. Zippy little A-Body, but will still have decent street manor's for her. She drove the roadrunner once. I think the car was just waiting to prove who was boss. Scared the heck out of her, pretty unexpectedly at that. The 100lb woman vs. 3700lb Mopar didn't go so well. I'll make sure her and this little Dodge get along. Thanks for the slack on having an A-Body here. Like I mentioned, this place is home. I'm like you and can appreciate most any car. I'll try not to post any chev's..lol

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats on the new addition Will, I hope all goes well with U Ship (fingers crossed) and it's cool that your wife shares your passion. I dragged mine to pick up a '68 in Columbus once. We got out of the truck and looked the car over and I said "What do you think ? She just shrugged. I said "You really don't give a rats ***, do you ?" She says "No, not really"

Sigh. Well, at least I get to pick the colors :)

LOL...That's hilarious Pete!

Here it comes "War & Peace" volume 2!!

Hehehehehe...You betcha! Epic battles ahead my friend

Welcome back to the game Prop! Skeletor's gonna have a mean little brother for sure! Cheers to the next epic saga, glad it'll be going down here on FBBO so I can follow along. Kick the tires and light the fires!

[video=youtube;uIPS4LyveJs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIPS4LyveJs&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Wow you're gonna make me miss my Dart with this build Will. I consider the Dart a mini B body so I don't see a problem with building it here. I'm glad you're back in the saddle with Dennis the Dart or whatever your wife wants to name him.

Awesome, I like the idea of a blank canvas. You are the "painter" and your wife the "designer". I hope to do that with my wife someday when we have the garage space. Unfortunately her tastes are of the E body Cuda type and I'd have a hard time letting her change too many things around.

Wow you're gonna make me miss my Dart with this build Will. I consider the Dart a mini B body so I don't see a problem with building it here. I'm glad you're back in the saddle with Dennis the Dart or whatever your wife wants to name him.

LOL! "Dennis the Menace!" Well, I haven't got no names from her yet, but will be sure to post it when she comes up with one. Hopefully it isn't something like "Pierre" or "ElGuardo". I agree, Look like little B-Bodies....Thanks BB61

Awesome, I like the idea of a blank canvas. You are the "painter" and your wife the "designer". I hope to do that with my wife someday when we have the garage space. Unfortunately her tastes are of the E body Cuda type and I'd have a hard time letting her change too many things around.

Thanks Eagle! Honestly, I really enjoy (and prefer) going my own route with drivetrain, color, wheels, ect ect... Leaves the door open for the imagination. I'm thinking she's gonna have fun doing it, and then seeing the end result of her decisions. Being this is/was a run of the mill economy Dart, I have no quarrels turning Dr Jekyll into Mr Hyde with this one. Hopefully it pans out for you and the wife someday. Those E-Bodies are some sharp cars!

Love them darts!!!!

You Bet!

1971-Dodge-Dart-317821350766982.JPG

1106phr_11_z+1970_dodge_dart_swinger+roxann_hayden.JPG.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

DSC_1583 (Small).JPG

71dodge71157-1.jpg

I like the black one, kinda like a mini me for your runner.

Nice purchase and one I think you'll be pleased with. I still have my '72 Dart that I threw a 383 into back some 30 years ago but with the aftermarket stuff that is available now for these A bodies...well I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun.

Auto Transport Service
Back