• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can of rusty worms

Bet you get tired of hearing from me!

Two evil thoughts...on the o-rings...maybe find some with same diameter, but not as thick.
On the studs...when I built mine, found new studs at one of the local parts house, but they were not Dorman stuff. Not too impressed with their parts. Hope the studs you pulled out weren't oversize.

Never Miller, I only wish we were all closer to share a pint with you westerners once in a while!

Would be great! It's all good, for us Mopar guys.
Gotta go bend up my shift linkage, to get past my head pipes. Are we having fun, yet?

Dorman and others make studs in varying knurl diameters, knurl length, shoulder length, overall length etc. You will need to spend some time looking through their literature to find the best combo for your axles. Or get some long ones like what were in there and shorten them up to what you need.

Dorman and others make studs in varying knurl diameters, knurl length, shoulder length, overall length etc. You will need to spend some time looking through their literature to find the best combo for your axles. Or get some long ones like what were in there and shorten them up to what you need.

The thing is Carl, the Dorman I bought are below their own spec for that part number. Had they been correct, they may have worked. It's possible that the axle flanges were modified to accept the longs one I took. I just pressed them back in and will shorten them if I have to. None of the Dormans in the catalog are wide enough for this stud size, even if they were made to their own spec.
I checked every one of the ten studs in the package with a caliper, and they were all identically below spec by approximately .008".

I installed the axles last night and one of the housing studs came loose...so much fun! I expect to finish the rear end off today and maybe lower the old girl back onto the ground!

I would not be unheard of to tack weld the stud head to the axle. You only need it held firm so it doesn't spin when putting on and the nuts.

Could you cut down the 3" studs and re-use them?

They can be cut. I'd spin a die and space on first though. The new ones will be returned as they are defective imo.

And it probably doesn't help that a lot of the Dorman stuff is not made on this continent. I've come across some of their fasteners, fittings etc where the thread size is correct, U.S., but I have to use a metric tool on them. Go figure! One advantage of just shortening up your long ones is you can make them a little longer than stock to get better/longer thread engagement on the lug nuts if you use an aluminum wheel or spacers on steel. Thread engagement needs to be fastener diameter at the bare minimum and more is better until the nuts bottom out.

Rear end is done! Axles, brakes and lines are finished. Back on wheels finally!

1491517127637-769089718.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good Glenwood . . . so that's how you keep yourself busy and out of the snow ? ? ?
( Glad that you got it and not us - but it did snow in Boone NC - up in the mountains last night - SIGH ! )

Actually, didn't get to work on it today because of the snow. Power went out and I tracked down the problem and reported it to the utility. Then a quick trip to the builder to pick up my rod bearings finally...the day was shot!
Tomorrow is 413 day. Gonna start short block assembly now. I plan to repaint the Polara when is warms up after I figure out how to remove the door glass and the top.

Glenwood, just caught up on the build. The progress is awesome. All I can say is go man go.

Looks like I'll be repainting the Polara. While I'm waiting for the weather to warm up, I've been learning to build the engine. Here's a few pics.

IMG_4321.JPG

IMG_4326.JPG

IMG_4332.JPG

IMG_4334.JPG
IMG_4336.JPG

Those are good looking pistons.
I think I would change you weather right now. I would be OK with going through another spring. We are already in the 80's. Anything hotter is just to hot for me. You can keep your winter though.

Those are good looking pistons.
I think I would change you weather right now. I would be OK with going through another spring. We are already in the 80's. Anything hotter is just to hot for me. You can keep your winter though.

80's sound nice right about now. If you want to trade though, you'll have to take the winter too!

Auto Transport Service
Back