• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can you pull a car dolly onto a flatbed?

MGKelly

Local time
2:42 AM
Reaction score
image.jpeg
i'm planning on sending my 70 RR to TX for media blasting. I'd like to get some suggestions before I try it. Car is in NJ and just a shell. What are the suggestions? Thanks!!
The picture enclosed is not my car but the dolly is similar but with better support. FYI, I have several media blasters locally that I don't completely trust.

Have it dipped instead of blasting it probably no more expensive than sending it to TX

most trailer floors ore 84 Inches wide, and the wheels are 96.
So, No.
I usually use a tow bar attached to the frame where the bumper goes, and attach two wheels that can be bought at harbor freight. Same for the rear, then pull it on and tie it down. Done.
graveyard cars use four jackstands under the four corners, and tie the car down, and that works too.

NJ to Texas for blasting? Seriously?!?! Is there some special reason for this?

Whole car blasted in Omaha is $400.00 Bucks. Likely someone near you can do the same.

I've rented a tow behind compressor and a 300 pound pot set up for larger jobs..... it would do all the heavy stuff in a couple easy hours...... lighter stuff can be done with a small blaster....... rent it on a saturday and return it monday ...... prob 300 for the rental and the sand....... any week areas that get exposed can be cut out for access to deeper metal........ blow it out, clean it up, 2 coats of epoxy and your jammin'........... any unpitted metal on the exterior skin should be sanded or chemical stripped

not suggesting you do it yourself, you may not want to, but shipping it to Texas just doesn't seem at all practical

as for shipping on a trailer or a flatbed, just strap it down real good

That's an expensive stripper bill your going to get. Is more stuff getting done it are you possibly moving? Get a mobile blaster and watch him!

If it's a money issues as in you have to much please send a noble blaster to my house I'd appreciate it!

You can take ito a blaster in Carteret, NJ. Local guy does great work blasting. beleive it is still called quick Strip. Iused him many years ago and he did a very good job.

You can take ito a blaster in Carteret, NJ. Local guy does great work blasting. beleive it is still called quick Strip. Iused him many years ago and he did a very good job.

or this.... but your gonna want to get primer on it ASAP

I've been disagreed with........ my entire post can't be wrong, I wonder which part? I've done this stuff a time or 2, but always open to new and different ways to skin the cat

1496198171380.jpg

It's still called Quick Strip, I spoke them a couple times. Do you remember the guy you spoke to? Not sure if they changed ownership. They have a rotisserie but I need to rent it and mount the car myself, didn't get the feeling they knew how to us it. Thanks, Joe

I build and sell rotisseries for a good portion of my income so I understand their point completely. It makes sense that you should rent the rotisserie and mount the car yourself... a) its a piece of equipment they had to purchase but is optional for each application b) rotten cars don't take to rotisseries very well so the risk of use is yours c) not too many cars mount the same and it could take a while to figure out how and where to mount it and make suitable brackets, so that's on you. d) they make their money blasting, not dicking around mounting cars to rotisseries.

NJ to Texas for blasting? Seriously?!?! Is there some special reason for this?

I use a local blaster 5 miles from my home, but only for thick metal. He says he blast commercial trucks and says he can blast a car, but don't want him to practice on mine.
Quick strip is the next closest, but don't know if they do quality work yet. Looked into dipping from a company in Ohio, but timeline with getting the car back could result in a nice coat of rust on the dipped car, since they offer no rust protection. So I think I have transport issue resolved, now need to get it ready for body work. I have faith in the shop in TX, so if another viable alternative doesn't come along to TX it goes.

By the time you get it back from Texas it will be covered in flash rust from the humidity. Keep looking locally.

Same here. Did work for me and others I know in the business over the years.

I build and sell rotisseries for a good portion of my income so I understand their point completely. It makes sense that you should rent the rotisserie and mount the car yourself... a) its a piece of equipment they had to purchase but is optional for each application b) rotten cars don't take to rotisseries very well so the risk of use is yours c) not too many cars mount the same and it could take a while to figure out how and where to mount it and make suitable brackets, so that's on you. d) they make their money blasting, not dicking around mounting cars to rotisseries.

agreed........ I can put a mopar on the spinner in short order because I already have the brackets made up; but spent an entire day figuring out and making brackets for the camaro and mounting it

and just add.......... the brackets must be fabbed up in a way so that the center of gravity can be adjusted for easy spinning....... it can be a bit of trial and error once mounted to the spinner, the camaro was a bit of a pain in the *** due to lack of a roof and all the weight being in the floor

Auto Transport Service
Back