• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Choosing the right shock

tiredmech

Local time
8:57 PM
Reaction score
i need some help choosing the best shock for my '66 Coronet, it's got the Hotchkis lowered leafs on the rear and the 1.03 torsion bars and basically stock front end but that will be upgraded soon, also the Borgeson upgraded steering box I street drive this car and push it hard almost every time I drive so keep that in mind. Any help will be appreciated.

i need some help choosing the best shock for my '66 Coronet, it's got the Hotchkis lowered leafs on the rear and the 1.03 torsion bars and basically stock front end but that will be upgraded soon, also the Borgeson upgraded steering box I street drive this car and push it hard almost every time I drive so keep that in mind. Any help will be appreciated.

Others on this forum may be able to provide their experiences with many brands. My personal favorites are Bilsteins. I have used them on every vehicle I have owned, if Bilstein makes one for it. Next is Koni. I do have a set of KYBs on a track car beause the class rules required a OEM style "replacement" shock. They seem to working okay. I do not have any experience with Hotchkis or QA1s. If considering Bilsteins, they are built through Race Car Dynamics (http://racecardynamics.com/). Konis are available through Summit, Jeg's, and maybe some vendors that visit this forum. Good luck, have fun.

I haven't bought shocks for my Charger yet, but I put Bilsteins on my Barracuda, and I can second what rlem1977 says. I like them. The car had KYB's on the front and worn out air shocks on the back. I thought the KYB's were a little harsh when hitting even little bumps and rough roads. The Bilsteins just feel more planted, for the lack of a better description. They are a little more spendy, but I plan to put them on the Charger when I get to that point.

You can get the Bilsteins by RCD through Firm Feel and PST Performance. I know PST gives a 10% discount to ForABodiesOnly site members, and James is a member over there. I can't say for sure if I have seen him over here, but I would think they would.

I just checked and James from PST is on this site too. Just do a member search for "PST"

As others have mentioned and price is no object then Bilsteins are hands down the best option as far as I am concerned. If you are on a budget, the KYBs (although they are a bit stiff) are a good shock at a fraction of the cost. I have no experience with Konis but I hear they are good shocks

I would agree with others on the Bilsteins hands down. But if you are looking for a shock that will adapt with additional mods to the suspension if you choose to down the road. You may want to consider looking into Viking's smooth body aluminum double adjustable shock as an option.

And as mentioned by others on the site. As a member of the forum you are eligible for 10%off orders of $200 or more and free shipping with the US 48 States.

James From
PST Marketing
1-800-247-2288

Depending on your intended driving and HP levels will determine what grade shock is best for you. James hit the nail on the head,I have a set of Vikings on all 4 corners.:thumbsup:

IMG_20170411_173628976.jpg

X2 on the Vikings from PST

I'm not against the Bilsteins at all I have a set on my Dodge 2500 but I do think the adjustable shock will better suite my needs and I am certainly interested in the Vikings I did a bit of looking and like what I'm seeing I definitely want something that is gonna be with me as I move along and upgrade. I guess I'll have to give you a call James. Thanks for the all the help and replies I really do appreciate it.

Auto Transport Service
Back