• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clear coat over strip.

I haven't done it, but the BIG issues would be if the solvents in your clear coat OR the paint thinner in the clear coat dissolved or wrinkled your stripes. It's risky in my opinion.

I would recommend against that. If you ever need to remove those stripes, it's going to damage the paint. I'm having a problem right now with a section of my 3M reflective 74 stripes turning black with some sort of mold-looking crap attacking the vinyl. I also had this problem with some decals I had made with 3M reflective vinyl, from a different vendor and in a different color, that were sealed with a UV resistant coating, so I'm guessing clear coating wouldn't help with this issue. Now I have to replace a section of the stripe and the decals, and that would be hard to do if they were clear coated.

painted stripe or decal? if decal, and you decide to CC, I would lightly scratch with a gray pad..decal will never peel, lol

pro......wax won't get stuck in the edges of the stripe

con..... it can turn a small paint repair into a project

I did a mach1, stenciled the stripe (paint), cleared over everything as per request......turned out awesome

seen many bikes with decals cleared over, amateurs tend to run and/or drip the clear off the decal

mach1b.jpg

Last edited:
Don, I've seen guys mess up there stripes by putting clear coat over them. Painted stripes no problem, clear coat them. Just my 2 cents worth. It's your car and your decision to make.

Don, I've seen guys mess up there stripes by putting clear coat over them. Painted stripes no problem, clear coat them. Just my 2 cents worth. It's your car and your decision to make.
Your all right,the last thing is to mess things up,the cost of the stripes,redo paint,not worth it.Thanks for the great advise,GENTS.

Auto Transport Service
Back