• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Auto paint store mixed spray paint ?

rustytoolss

Local time
5:23 PM
Reaction score
How durable is the spay paint that an auto paint store mixes and puts into a spray can? a base coat/ clear coat . Need to paint engine bay, so I can move on and get the car running again.

I have seen many engine compartments painted with single stage and the body with base/clear. Base clear under the hood looks too overdone to me. Just my opinion.

How durable is the spay paint that an auto paint store mixes and puts into a spray can? a base coat/ clear coat . Need to paint engine bay, so I can move on and get the car running again.
I’ve touched up areas on other cars but with single stage like jams and actually it looked well but remember spray out is all on mix and tempeture and humidity. Variables

I know that there are some two compartment spray cans that mix the catalyst just prior to spraying and they have to be used within something like 24 hours. Eastwood sells some clears like this. I don’t think the local paint store is going to have the equipment to load something like that. I could be wrong (?). So as far as I know they you are basically spraying base coat mix or an uncatalyzed urethane top coat. But it’s still pretty tough stuff and the color should match well if using a formulation that was or will be used to paint the main body. Otherwise they have to scan and mix to match.

Just do it and move on
Base coat is good for engine compartment. Don't over think it. Sooner it's done the sooner you can be enjoying the car.

Getting pretty free and loose with the comments, how can you say his color will match well, we don’t even know what paint color/metallic he is matching. And a spray can has zero adjustability on the paint mix or spray pressure or pattern.

Safe to say he will be darn lucky if it matches!

I bought a car, came with the leftover paint in a gallon can and a few spray cans. The spray cans are low quality that chips easily, doesn’t match, stayed soft. I can clearly see where it was used on the underhood pieces and bolt heads.

I just did this with my daughters Honda Civic. First can was totally wrong. Got refunded and purchased from another company. These are the Online exact match places. Second time around was spot on.

IMG_6863.png
IMG_6864.png

Also did the Orielly's paint store mixing for my 66 belvedere engine compartment.

IMG_2574.JPG

IMG_2589.JPG

Last edited:
I assumed that meant that they mixed the paint, just like what you would do to spray it out of a gun, only put it in a spray can. He said he wanted get it done and move on.,so it sounded like a great way to do just that.

My local auto paint store mixed up some Nason base and put it in a spray can so I could touch up a spot on bumper of my Crosstrek, bought a can of 2 part clear as well. They color matched the bumper perfect, same exact paint used in spray gun. Had the car almost three years, still looked good when I traded it in.

You can buy a spray propellant can with a 4oz jar that screws on the bottom for your paint. Expensive to do an engine compartment, $100 plus paint.

My PPG store mixes JE for aerosol. This is acrylic enamel. This is not activated, as soon as a solvent hits it, you’ll know it.

I was not ready to buy my paint and guns when I needed to paint the engine bay. I went with these guys for the rattle can base/clear and it turned out fine with a perfect match. See the pic with Q1; PPG was from the paint store and the Auto was rattle can.

All that being said, if I did it over I would get myself in order and spray it just like the car will be sprayed. Easier application and coverage.

IMG_0471.png

IMG_2586.jpeg

When I have it done...it's the same paint they sell in gallons. I touched-up areas on the underside of my `cuda, and it matched perfectly. It was also expensive.

Depends on what the body color is.
A non metallic you may get close with a rattle can mix.
A metallic, don't do it.
Those custom mixed rattle cans are not cheap.
My 2 cents, go to harbor freight and buy a cheap gun, get a pint of single stage color and activator and some fast reducer.
Degrease and scuff everything, seal it then paint it.
If your fixing up a nice car this is not the time or place to cut corners.

Depends on what the body color is.
A non metallic you may get close with a rattle can mix.
A metallic, don't do it.
Those custom mixed rattle cans are not cheap.
My 2 cents, go to harbor freight and buy a cheap gun, get a pint of single stage color and activator and some fast reducer.
Degrease and scuff everything, seal it then paint it.
If your fixing up a nice car this is not the time or place to cut corners.
Thanks, The color is 1962 Plymouth Luminous Cordovan (metallic burgandy)

I was not ready to buy my paint and guns when I needed to paint the engine bay. I went with these guys for the rattle can base/clear and it turned out fine with a perfect match. See the pic with Q1; PPG was from the paint store and the Auto was rattle can.

All that being said, if I did it over I would get myself in order and spray it just like the car will be sprayed. Easier application and coverage.

View attachment 1574611

View attachment 1574612
Another vote for Automotive Touchup here. I used it to touch up a couple of spots on the Newport and it turned out great.

Auto Transport Service
Back