• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Commuter Car Advice

Runner 68

Tarnished Bronze Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:29 PM
Reaction score
Howdy fellas, it's been a while since I've been on here. Glad to see nobody missed me.
No, I have not started putting my bird back together yet. Sorry, my teenaged boys keep getting in the way.

I do however need some input from those of you have a taste for luxury cars.
I think I'm ready to retire the 96 Volvo 850, 350,000 miles on it. It has served me well but to be honest, I'm tired of driving it.

The use will be 450 miles a week at 80 MPH. Be able to take some abuse, easy to work on but comfortable to drive, performance is not high on the list. The selection needs to be able to follow a 350K mile car that has served me well with minimal problems.

The short list is as follows in no particular order, 07 or newer:

BMW 5 series
Mercedes E350
Lexus GS350
Volvo S60

I eagerly seek your advice/input.

I'd say Lexus or Volvo. IMHO the German build/design quality has really gone downhill as of late. Well.. Lexus is looking funky these days in their designs too. Tough call; I'd avoid "luxury" brands if I were you and just get a high trim level in a "regular" brand.

I'd say Lexus or Volvo. IMHO the German build/design quality has really gone downhill as of late. Well.. Lexus is looking funky these days in their designs too. Tough call; I'd avoid "luxury" brands if I were you and just get a high trim level in a "regular" brand.
Thanks verdelaw, nice avatar by the way.

Good advice. These old bones have driven many machines and unless you have spent some time in European engineered suspension / seats, nothing can compare. I agree, the Germans have been getting bad reviews lately as far as reliability, hence the thread.

I'm having a hard time imagining 350K out of Chrysler, Chevy or Ford these days or any day for that matter. I can sure vouch for a 96 Volvo though. Maybe I'm wrong because I haven't had to think about a newer car for a while.

No
No
Yes
No

Have you considered an Acura RLX?

Last edited:
If you're going to get a foreign car, go Japanese. The German cars are overcomplicated & cost a fortune to fix when something goes wrong. I don't know anyone with a Volvo, but I suspect that they are also expensive to fix.

My wife has a 3 year old Lexus 350 & it's a very nice car. Good mileage, decent power comfy & it doesn't have the goofy front end that the new ones have. 45,000 miles & zero problems.

Hey pal! I missed you..... Id go with the Lexus if its used or any of the others if new
Hey Steve, hey RC.

The reason I'm leaning German is longevity plus there are plenty of options out there for not much dough. Perhaps that should tell me something. I do all my own work on them and have found European cars extremely easy to work on because they are well thought out. My old Volvo has been the cheapest transportation I have ever owned. Paid $3K for it with 120K miles on it 9 years ago. probably have put $400 a year in parts on it. Still running and driving strong. Replace CV axle, 1 hour. Replace timing belt, with all the other crap, 1.5 hours.

The wife has a 4 Runner which is bomb proof which is why I was considering Lexus.
Thanks for the input guys.

Acura or BM.

I dont see where everybody is getting that the germans have gone down in quality.

I lease a new BM (3-series) every three years, and I havent seen any difference. This next one will be my 6th.

Acura or BM.

I dont see where everybody is getting that the germans have gone down in quality.

I lease a new BM (3-series) every three years, and I havent seen any difference. This next one will be my 6th.
Cannot disagree with you....I have both myself...

However, the beamer is the Mrs/Boss, lol...but she is a full time working shopper, lol. So she has limited miles in comparison to the real commuter.

Lease every 3yrs is the smart way to go with BMW due to the full 3yr service warranty if you use it as a daily commuter.....

I drive minimum 250 miles every week to work and back in the middle of rush hour both ways, and the BM is very comfy.

2011 335xi...

2011 335xi.JPG

2014 328xi...

2014 328xi.jpg

and the one Im getting this week...2016 328xi

2016 328xi.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back