• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Commuter Car Advice

I still have a hard time accepting that people will buy, AND DRIVE, foreign cars.
I bought a 2013 Charger for commuting to work.
****, we have 7 cars in the current fleet and the only one built in the US other than my Runner is a Toyota. There is no such thing as a "foreign" car these days.

****, we have 7 cars in the current fleet and the only one built in the US other than my Runner is a Toyota. There is no such thing as a "foreign" car these days.
Only "American" car I've ever owned was a '68. Everything else has been Honda, BMW, 'Yota, Lexus (same thing). And the "Japanese" (all these quotes are there because all these cars are built in other countries anyway) cars have treated me well. Rest of the family does Subarus. My wife used to own a Jeep Cherokee and loved it, but the thing was a gas hog and surprisingly cramped inside.

I'll tell ya right now, if they offered the new Charger with a stick, I'd go buy one tomorrow. Unfortunately all they offer is slushboxes.

Coming from the Gary Indiana, and having steel in my entire family's DNA, I see it a little differently.
A "foreign car" is one that is built for the needs of other people in other lands.
A large percentage of these are cars that I was too tall already to drive safely before I was legal to drive. Teenager cars, I call em.
Then there's no real trunk room for a United States-style interstate travel road tour.
At least in early A bodies, I fit perfectly and there's a useful amount of space.

That's why I can't accept the new "Dart" as a Dart. It's a very cramped car for a lanky guy.
They built the last Dart yesterday in Belvidere Illinois according to my buddy who assembled them on the line.
Production moving to Mexico.
Not selling as well in the US as well as other places, and I would suggest it's exactly for the reasons above.
It doesn't address the needs of the US and Canada as well as it does other countries.
I was going to re-badge the 2013 Charger as a Coronet, but after driving it a month, I am convinced that the Charger actually IS the true modern Dart.
It's not big enough inside or outside to be a B body car, so it must be a Dart, and I will be badging it as a Dart.

I'll tell ya right now, if they offered the new Charger with a stick, I'd go buy one tomorrow. Unfortunately all they offer is slushboxes.

something we can agree on! (sort of. lol)

If FCA made a V8 AWD Charger/300, I would not be picking up my next BM tomorrow. that's for damn sure.

I think they stopped making them 2(?) years ago. :mad:

1) Most people, as it relates here, don't consider Canada "foreign". 2) not Italy.
Lol, outside the US borders is foreign irregardless.......whether or not I can spit across the border!

Maybe you and others do not regard Canada as a foreign country, no problem, it is just a matter of opinion versus a fact!

Furthermore, my Acura was built in Alabama and Acura headquarters is in Tokyo....At least mine got assembled and supported American jobs! Just Saying....

Last edited:
Lol, outside the US borders is foreign irregardless.......whether or not I can spit across the border!

Maybe you and others do not regard Canada as a foreign country, no problem, it is just a matter of opinion versus a fact!

Furthermore, my Acura was built in Alabama and Acura headquarters is in Tokyo....At least mine got assembled and supported American jobs! Just Saying....
We have borders ? I thought they did away with those in the last 7 years... My Mopar was assembled in Canada, what can I say, I love hockey :canada:

I was going to re-badge the 2013 Charger as a Coronet, but after driving it a month, I am convinced that the Charger actually IS the true modern Dart.
It's not big enough inside or outside to be a B body car, so it must be a Dart, and I will be badging it as a Dart.

Almost agree on this when it comes to trunk space (really can't stand the current trend of narrowing the trunk opening to make a 20/40/20 split between main taillights and reflectors), but if someone would hack out the center console on these, the interior is comparable to a B-body 4-door.

And if it really was A-body territory, it wouldn't be the size of a B on the outside:

Generation Gap - '68 Satellite, '14 Charger by cudak888, on Flickr

Generation Gap - '68 Satellite, '14 Charger by cudak888, on Flickr

And for comparison, an A-body:

'68 Satellite, '69 Valiant by cudak888, on Flickr

-Kurt

Our Honda was built in the US many of its parts are labeled of US origin. There is a push to raise tariffs on imports still Chevy, Ford and Chrysler are manufacturing and assembing in foreign countries and hauling them into the US market due to NAFTA no import fees apply. If anyone wants to complain about imports I think we had better start there at home.

Hey Mario, what have you heard / know about the 08-10 I6 twin turbos in the 335i and 535i? I drove a 525xi today, pulls like an elephant, smooth comfortable car but a little concerned about what I've read about the reported turbo and fuel pump issues.

Hey Mario, what have you heard / know about the 08-10 I6 twin turbos in the 335i and 535i? I drove a 525xi today, pulls like an elephant, smooth comfortable car but a little concerned about what I've read about the reported turbo and fuel pump issues.

I do not know much pertaining to the mechanical aspects/issues to be honest.

I beat these cars everyday like a red-headed step-child for three years and then turn em back in to BMW. and I havent broken anything...yet lol

Ill check with my brother-he owns an 07 335i-to see if there are any known problems.

meanwhile, you can check out this forum. pretty popular forum for 3-series BM's.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/

Last edited:
talked to my bro. he says the turbos are known to leak and the wastegate to chatter. he does say that guys would push the turbo 2-2.5 times the stock config as test mules, and that they were fine. sounds like a hit and miss kind of deal.

as to the fuel pump, it was a known issue by the factory and BMW sent the owners letters to get them changed under warranty.

talked to my bro. he says the turbos are known to leak and the wastegate to chatter. he does say that guys would push the turbo 2-2.5 times the stock config as test mules, and that they were fine. sounds like a hit and miss kind of deal.

as to the fuel pump, it was a known issue by the factory and BMW sent the owners letters to get them changed under warranty.

Thanks, yea that pretty much confirms my research. Plus the 535 I was looking at was a pre March 2008 which were particularly prone to these issues. I searched the VIN with a dealer and they said all the warranty work for these issues had been performed on this car but still, too high dollar of a risk to try and push to 300K miles. Twin turbos, too many moving parts that are high $$ to fix.

However the search is over. I bought a 2009 Saab on Friday. 80K miles, one owner, full service records. This guy took it to the dealership religiously every 6000 miles for a check up. The car is like new save for a little wear on the driver seat. Turbo charged 2.0-4 banger. I didn't think a 4 cylinder was capable of producing 210 HP. This thing runs and drives unbelievably. Should be a good highway cruiser and perfect tool for the job. We'll see if it's up to the test to be pushed that far.

I know it's a dead make but so is my Plymouth. Parts are plentiful and cheap. Let's put it this way, BMW 5 series twin turbo, $1,900 for one replacement turbo. Saab 9-3, $600 for a replacement turbo in which it only has one.

Wish me luck.

2009 Saab is not a bad looking car. After we bought our 2011 CC (with the same 2.0LT) there were some Saabs that cought both my wifes and my attention. Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

Dude. Pics. C'mon.

You started this thread and you're not gonna show us the end product?!
Will do. I won't pick it up until this Friday. I had the Indie I have been working with address a few things before I take possession.

I'd go German too...
upload_2016-10-13_10-36-35.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back