• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Converter is stuck in crank.....

keithlarkin1

Local time
7:23 AM
Reaction score
I can't get my transmission out of the car. It is a torqueflite 727 and the snout of the converter is stuck.I have triued everything including a long pry bar. It wont come out and I have the transmission about 1.5 inches out and it it is passed the engine dowels.
Anyway to get it out. There is a mid-plate also between the engine and the transmission.:angry9:
I have been trying for 3 hours now with no luck.

Mid plate as in a plate that's used in a drag car that mounts the rear of the engine to the chassis?

I can't get my transmission out of the car. It is a torqueflite 727 and the snout of the converter is stuck.I have triued everything including a long pry bar. It wont come out and I have the transmission about 1.5 inches out and it it is passed the engine dowels.
Anyway to get it out. There is a mid-plate also between the engine and the transmission.:angry9:
I have been trying for 3 hours now with no luck.

The TC should come out of the tranny and stay with the engine if it is that stuck. I have pulled a few trannys back in the day with out pulling the TC bolts. trans comes right out.

Are you sure you removed the bolts conecting the fly wheel to the torque Converter ( behind inspection plate ) you have to turn the motor & remove them 1 at a time they are 7 /16 " bolts if I remember right & there is 4 of them on 4 cornors of a square . the only thing holding the trans on is the bolts mounting the trans housing to the block & the bolts conecting the flywheel to the Converter . I always thought it easyer to pull the motor & trans out as one unit !!! instead of fighting space underneath the car unless you have access to a lift ..

Sounds like the converter pilot is held in by rust. See if you can get some penetrating oil in there and pry on it every 120 deg or so.

If you haven't got it out yet, you might try putting the starter back in, make sure the torque converter to flex plate bolts are out and TAP the ignition over- that should break it loose with a tap or two- don't spin it over as it could damage the trans pump if it comes loose and spins too fast...

Auto Transport Service
Back