• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dash and interior paint

Dan

Local time
10:49 AM
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forum and am restoring a 66 Satellite and was wondering what paint to use for the dash and interior trim. Has anyone used Sem39144 satin black trim (spray can) and if so how does it hold up to uv and is it easily scratched, or in other words is it tough paint. Open to sugestions to good satin black paint, thanks

i hope someone can give you an answere, because i need to know the same thing

I used the SEM landau black on the dash pad and lower plastic panels on my '73. Easy to use and finish is great. Follow directions on cleaning before spraying. After you have cleaned everything, clean it again. I got everything from Eastwood. After wash with Simple Green and brush, used Eastwood's PRE. Follow directions. As far as nicks or scratches, it seems to hold up very well. Now if you dig it with a screw driver, it will mark. I know people who have used it on seats and upper vinyl door panels and it wears well. Haven't heard any complaints on fading from sun light or chemical cleaning but I'm sure it will thin over time just like the original.

I used the SEM products on two cars now and have had good results, but follow the directions of prep and cleaning exactly-this is the most important part. I did have one lower dash pad that I couldn't get decent adhesion on no matter how many times I tried. Someone must have used a penetrating/oily cleaner on it years ago and it must have soaked into the vinyl. Whatever you do don't use a laquer based product sold by KolorKoat. They sold me a very small amount for alot of money claiming it was the best product available. This stuff is no good and the company won't stand behind what they sell. SEM is the best.

Hi, I'm new to the forum and am restoring a 66 Satellite and was wondering what paint to use for the dash and interior trim. Has anyone used Sem39144 satin black trim (spray can) and if so how does it hold up to uv and is it easily scratched, or in other words is it tough paint. Open to sugestions to good satin black paint, thanks

I have two 69 convertibles, a hardtop, and 5 dirt bikes.

I have found that the SEM 3194"3", which I use for vinyl, and/or their 39853 (slight texture) paints (that I use on metal) are as good as any mixed "gun sprayed" paints for trim parts, from a durability standpoint, and a factory match (at least as far as my eye can tell/cares).

Both of these are exterior rated paints, so they have a higher UV resistance than would an interior paint, but for simplicities sake, I use these two on everything I do thats black.

Quite durable, and easy to touch up if necessary.

As with any paint, you need to get the base clean. I use Xylene to initially clean the metal or vinyl, followed by alcohol, then hot soapy water, rinsed with hot water.

After drying I use "Bulldog" brand adhesive promoter, then paint (I use "rust bullet" to prime trim metal).

The resulting finish is much tougher than any gun sprayed finish I have ever found, and holds up very well on my dirt bikes (which get crashed alot, and get gas and oil spilled on the finish frequently); And on my convertible interior trim that otherwise fade fairly quickly with a factory spec'd paint or dye.

I'm not a "numbers, or ultra originality" guy, but from a looks/durability standpoint, I have yet to find anything that can beat these.

The dash paint used was called suede and had a slight texture. I had an issue getting the texture additive so I got the correct color and faked the texture by spraying the last coat dry. I found the SEM stuff to be really good.

SEM is very good but i started using satin black rustoleum textured paint and the finish is terrific.

Auto Transport Service
Back