• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do any of you belong to car clubs?

OK, now was it a left barefoot?
Oh, I forgot, the original question, Mopar Club, yes in my younger days.
IMG_4157.JPG

Last edited:
I belonged to the Northeast Hemi Owner's Association for nearly 20 years, but dropped out years ago. Today, with record low membership and members aging, it seems as though the club is on life support now.

I was a member of Porsche Club of America for many years. While I enjoyed the get togethers and cruises, it was very cliquish. I gravitated away and just did my own thing, and was much happier. That is more my style, so I haven't been inclined to join any other club since.
FBBO is my car club.

I served around 26 years (at least 12 on Committee inc 5 as Secretary) with our local American Muscle Car club. However due to a couple of personality clashes with guys who bent the riles and invited all sorts of non-compliant (to the spirit of the rules) cars along, the club became flooded with fossils driving modern tech cars with all the creature comforts. These same fossils would magically be already seated at the venue when the rest of the real drivers were fighting traffic and following the pace notes etc.

The same fossils would bring their wives along to meetings, where they would congregate at one table, natter away among themselves and sit there knitting scarves and all sorts of crap. Definitely created a lot of bad felling among the more traditional membership.

The final straw was a car show, which I had always helped organise, I was told my GTX would be perfect for the show over Easter, but my A100 was not really in the spirit of the theme of Muscle Cars. I was dumbstruck - a tribute replica to one of the most recognisable drag racing icons, and it didn't fit the bill???

And yet a shitty old fox-body mud-stain was on prominent display. I guess being some knuckle-dragging has-been racer is more important than attracting foot traffic into the show.

I started my own club back in 2002..... the Kiwi Muscle Car Club. :p Twenty one years and still going. Solid membership of good bastages with similar thought patterns, and we have a lot of fun with our vehicles.....just like the first few years of the aforementioned club above.

We joined the local MOPAR club when we first moved here 35 yrs ago. It was a great way to make friends and get car advice / help back before internet forums like this one. Over time, it slowly died. Like most volunteer organizations I've been involved with, 10% of the people do 90% of the work. The other 90% complain that the club doesn't have enough shows, picnics, etc. and then don't bother to show up when you do. Burned us out after a while so we dropped out. Don't think it's even active any more.

We made some life long friends though so it was worth it for us.

Sweet, chargervert! What are all those? I thought I had too many. You are my hero. My proclivities go for quantity, not Quality though.

Lots of Chargers stacked as far as one car see,and a few e body cars mixed in.

I have several to choose from. I belong to 2 out of 3 local MOPAR clubs and attend when I can. So many nice cars in our clubs!

I am a member of the Minnesota Street Rod Association and part of a group of guys that formed an ad hoc “club” so we can secure reserved parking at the Street Machine Nationals. The FOW (Friends of Warren) car club has no dues, no charter and no meetings. We just like hanging out together, either you show up, or you don’t…

Co-founder of the Central Oklahoma Mopar Association (COMA). Founded in 1983, now in our 40th year. I've been a member of perhaps 12 clubs over the past 42 years. Two of those while in Europe. Went through a Tri-Five Chevy phase with my Cameo pickup. Been with the national Hudson club off and on since my first Hudson acquisition in 2001.

I'm just not real big on clubs (or shows) these days. I'm pretty content with my own little five-vehicle show in my shop. I'd rather participate in a driving event, versus a sit-on-your-***-for-six-hours show.

We joined the local MOPAR club when we first moved here 35 yrs ago. It was a great way to make friends and get car advice / help back before internet forums like this one. Over time, it slowly died. Like most volunteer organizations I've been involved with, 10% of the people do 90% of the work. The other 90% complain that the club doesn't have enough shows, picnics, etc. and then don't bother to show up when you do. Burned us out after a while so we dropped out. Don't think it's even active any more.

We made some life long friends though so it was worth it for us.
And that’s what sad. We have like 9 guys putting on 110 car show. Only 15 paid members and I work away. We’ve basically quit the car show seen but 1 a year and we try to at least have 1 cruise in a month and those are the best. At that big car show we had several locals bitched about it but none of them belong to our club, the only car club in our county, so I called them all out and begged them to please contact me but I only heard crickets. I told them, every one of you guys bitching are retired, don’t work, don’t have a life so why don’t you all get off your lazy asses, join the club and help out! Do you think it’s easy putting on a show that big with only 9 people? I honestly don’t care if any of you ever come to our show again!!! We are about at the point to just dropping the club.

I'm thinking about the Southern Colorado Mopar Club. What is your impression of club membership?
Do it. Only $25 and some of that goes to the Collector Car Council of Colorado which lobbies the state to protect collector cars.
I used to be a member of Southern Colorado Mopars in the 1980's and 1990's when I lived in Pueblo.
Actually a member from around 1985 before it was "established" in 1987.
They are mostly involved in family car shows, but I believe some of the members are racers too. I lost touch with the club so I don't know who the members are anymore. Maybe I should re-join too.
After moving to Denver, I joined the Rocky Mountain Performance Mopar car club (RPM) which in the 1980's-1990's I think was the largest Mopar car club in the state and hosted the 3-Day Mopar car show/race at Bandimere until Bandimere took it over.
The RPM club merged with the Colorado Mopar car club a few years ago.
I have been out of the car club thing for a few years. Just didn't have time.
It seems one problem the classic car clubs are having it the aging of the members. Not very many younger people are joining, and many of my friends in the car club have either passed away or are no longer active in the car club.

I belonged to the MAFCA in 64-73 a different bunch of guys then today's group!

Bridgeport Michigan

Made some life time friends back then.............. still alive today.

Model A Ford Club of America.......... $5/ MO

Scan.jpg

Co-founder of the Central Oklahoma Mopar Association (COMA). Founded in 1983, now in our 40th year. I've been a member of perhaps 12 clubs over the past 42 years. Two of those while in Europe. Went through a Tri-Five Chevy phase with my Cameo pickup. Been with the national Hudson club off and on since my first Hudson acquisition in 2001.

I'm just not real big on clubs (or shows) these days. I'm pretty content with my own little five-vehicle show in my shop. I'd rather participate in a driving event, versus a sit-on-your-***-for-six-hours show.
I've always found I get in more interesting conversations with folks when I drive the GTX to the grocery store rather than an organized show.

At car shows you usually see the same cars and people, but it is nice when you see a classic driving around that you haven't seen at any car show.
Long time ago, I met a guy at TacoBell driving a '71 Plum Crazy 440-6 GTX that looked like daily driver in the 1980's.
A few years later, I'm pretty sure I seen the same car at a car show, but restored with a new owner?

Auto Transport Service
Back