• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electronic ignition, ECM, ballast resistor, voltage regulator.

KyleFinlay

Local time
9:56 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys, seems like every where I look I have different diagram's for the voltage regulator, and the electronic ignition system, I've drawn up something that looks right. Using ballast resistor, ECM and distributor from proform, stock voltage regulator, and an externally regulated alternator. Any help or issues before I fry my ignition system would be great!

20170130_180229.jpg

Are you trying to create some new design to fit a car that was originally equipped with a "Points" style distributor ?

If so, I believe Mopar Performance still might have a diagram of their conversion kit.
Also, you might consider looking at a factory service manual of your car. The electronic conversion kit is pretty simple if done on an unmolested wire harness.

I guess so, when I got the car it had been through hell as far as backyard mechanics. No one could even tell what distributor was actually on it or why it even worked. So i installed an electronic ignition system and As of right now it runs great with that setup I have in the drawing, but I'm about to install a full new harness and wanted to know if anyone has seen this before. It may run great but I'm just looking to see if that is a familiar update. The issue with the mopar performance diagram is it only shows the ballast, run, start, ecm, coil. It leaves out the voltage regulator and distributor.

Hey guys, seems like every where I look I have different diagram's for the voltage regulator, and the electronic ignition system, I've drawn up something that looks right. Using ballast resistor, ECM and distributor from proform, stock voltage regulator, and an externally regulated alternator. Any help or issues before I fry my ignition system would be great!

View attachment 391907

Sure you want to go this way. Is the car leaning towards complete resto? A Firecore distributor and electronic coil will eliminate 60% of the old ignition system and add great reliability and performance. An exact looking internally regulated alternator will give you more reliability in the charging system and whatever output you desire. Just my opinion because I did this on a '65 Imperial five years ago and it has never had an issue.

No this car was not ready for a full restoration. I got it with a lot of barnyard repairs. An electrical nightmare. Not to mention I bought it as a 383 car not worried about numbers matching as the Vin decoded it for a 318 satalite, once I started working on it I found out real quick it was actually a 78' 400 bb and they must have used anything in the barn to make it all work. I found aluminum foil in fuse terminals, and Dremel bits for vacuum line plugs.. so. I'm fixing up all I can for a summer street rod / restomod.

There was diamond plate interior door panels, hideous. Coat hangers tieing up the headlight bezels, it goes on and on. Once I got out all the trash and nasty *** "upgrades" I didn't have much there. So rather than restoring a 318 satallite for $20k, I'm making a very respectable roadrunner cloned resto/mod. And drive the **** out of it!!

Auto Transport Service
Back