• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Extra Garage?

Ron H

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:49 AM
Reaction score
I'm requesting some experience/opinions on building an added garage. I know my regrets when building the house/3-car garage 25 years ago, a ceiling not quite high enough for a lift, sealing the concrete floor, among a few other things. The new garage (far as I estimate now) will house my plow truck, snow blower, mowers, all da damn gardening tools, likely one of our daily cars (Dakota and/or wife's sedan). Not sure about parking my '63 Plymouth as the house garage is heated and not sure on if I'll heat the new garage. Part of the gist here is my workshop with wood and metal working machines in the basement I might put in the house garage removing one of the vehicles for this space. Been a PIA going down/up da basement and well...I like being above the ground while still breathing, lol. I have a 12-course basement and the initial thoughts having this was a waste as things evolved. Longer story, lol.

I've seen some photos on the forum of the neat garages some of you have, so looking for advice, features, size, etc. Thanks much!

I built a 28’ deep 40’ wide pole barn a few years ago. 10’ ceiling and storage trusses with a staircase. I don’t regret it one bit. It’s sided and shingled to match the house. Went up in a week start to finish.

You’ll never say you wished it was smaller.

60' X 60' with 12' ceilings is just about right.
oly OLY, RC! Was thinking maybe 30x30. But you got a car collection like Leno has...I only got's me one old ride, lol.

I built a 28’ deep 40’ wide pole barn a few years ago. 10’ ceiling and storage trusses with a staircase. I don’t regret it one bit. It’s sided and shingled to match the house. Went up in a week start to finish.

You’ll never say you wished it was smaller.
Thanks, could I trouble ya to send a photo?

Make sure you do the roof side to side so the snow don't go plunk in front of your doors...
beeswingercruisemay162021 103.JPG

oly OLY, RC! Was thinking maybe 30x30. But you got a car collection like Leno has...I only got's me one old ride, lol.

Whatchu talkin' 'bout Willis, you also have an aircraft hanger!

I figure that your garage has got to be 50-52' wide.

Ron, I'm right there with you.Things are way different than what I thought 10 years ago.

I did a 30x30 stick garage a couple years ago. 10’ walls with scissor trusses. Ran them from to rear so both bays could have a lift. I don’t have any attic and the entire building is insulated and drywalled. Also did my garage doors so they follow the roof up. I have one 4 post and I can have a car up and get the garage doors open. I also shifted the bay doors over so I had a nice workspace on one side. That side also has a man door. 2 windows in the rear across from the garage doors to get air flow.

Whatchu talkin' 'bout Willis, you also have an aircraft hanger!

I figure that your garage has got to be 50-52' wide.
Waa...waa...what RC? I have no plane hanger, sounds nice to have though.

I'm requesting some experience/opinions on building an added garage. I know my regrets when building the house/3-car garage 25 years ago, a ceiling not quite high enough for a lift, sealing the concrete floor, among a few other things. The new garage (far as I estimate now) will house my plow truck, snow blower, mowers, all da damn gardening tools, likely one of our daily cars (Dakota and/or wife's sedan). Not sure about parking my '63 Plymouth as the house garage is heated and not sure on if I'll heat the new garage. Part of the gist here is my workshop with wood and metal working machines in the basement I might put in the house garage removing one of the vehicles for this space. Been a PIA going down/up da basement and well...I like being above the ground while still breathing, lol. I have a 12-course basement and the initial thoughts having this was a waste as things evolved. Longer story, lol.

I've seen some photos on the forum of the neat garages some of you have, so looking for advice, features, size, etc. Thanks much!

I'm assuming detached from the house? If so, 30' deep if you're putting a plow truck in there, I'd go 12' wide for each bay, so 3-bay would be 36' wide. 11' minimum ceiling for a lift. If you're putting your '63 in the same garage I'd build a wall with a door to separate it from the rest of the garage so moisture from wet vehicles won't impact your collector ride.

I build a 28 x 28 garage, That would hold wife car and plow truck with the rest of it garden tools, snow blower and a mower. Now add on another bay for a lift and another bay just because you'll fill that too.

Need 40 foot deep and 14 foot side walls minimum. Width debatable. I all ready regret the 24x24 with 8 foot sides.

I'm assuming detached from the house? If so, 30' deep if you're putting a plow truck in there, I'd go 12' wide for each bay, so 3-bay would be 36' wide.

Trust me when I say that you'll want 10' wide garage doors. Now, if you're at 36' wide, you might as well go to at least 40'. It'll look better proportioned. Draw it out on graph paper to see the proportions.

My garage above has two 10'-0" wide X 8'-0" tall left & right & a 12'-0" wide X 12" tall door in the center. The 12'-0" wide gives enough room to walk through the opening without getting too close to a vehicle.

There is mention of 10 foot wide garage doors. I added a 3rd car garage and used 8 foot door. My 2010 Challenger has about 2" on each side of the mirror. I have to be so careful pulling in and backing out. After cement was all poured guy said you should have went with 10 foot door. Now you tell me. Actually I didn't have the SRT when I built the garage so I didn't know it would be a problem with an 8 foot door. Where I live building codes are pretty tough so not a lot of leeway when doing anything.

Auto Transport Service
Back