• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally Started My Restoration of my 68 GTX

68GTX440

Local time
7:16 PM
Reaction score
After Joining this forum and see all the restoration projects my 15 year bug me to start the resto. I have had this car since 1978 or 79 I paid $125.00 CASH for it and drove it home. It has had a few things done over the years but nothing like what has been started now. Here are a couple of pics from 1984 of the second black paint job.

2013-05-04 13-14-00_0002.jpg

2013-05-04 13-15-25_0003.jpg

This one is right after the rear end by a drunk driver within a month after this paint job.

2013-05-04 13-05-57_0001.jpg

Had the quarter replaced but didn't repaint had to many other things come up at the time.
Then in 1990 blew the motor. Trying to get to Las Vegas in a hurry. Would have made it in 1 hour and 10 minutes from Rancho Cucamonga Calif. if the valve hadn't of floated and popped out the push rod and lost all oi pressure.
So now the car sets from then until now. Thanks to seeing the awesome restorations being done on this forum especially by Propwash and a couple of other the project has begun. (Thanks Guys). I have been buying tons of parts over the last 5-7 years and now it is time. So let the fun begin......

Will post more pics soon as we have started tearing in to it.. Looking forward to have it back to the 84 look I had..

2013-05-04 13-14-00_0002.jpg 2013-05-04 13-15-25_0003.jpg 2013-05-04 13-05-57_0001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great looking car 69GTX! I'm looking forward to your updates. I'm sure a few members here will be excited about those slots you have on her. I like them also

I love the 68 GTX's {& the RR Satellite Belvedere's, my personal favorite year}, good luck with your restoration, back to the old 84 HS look, black is always a great color, was that the original color on the car ??, here's some incentive photos for ya...LOL...

Attachments

• 68 GTX advert. #1.jpg
    68 GTX advert. #1.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 1,086
  • 68 GTX Advert. #4.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 1,041
  • 68 GTX advert. #3 Hemi Grey.jpg
    68 GTX advert. #3 Hemi Grey.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,046
  • 68 GTX Advert. #5.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 1,053
  • 68 GTX Advert. #6.jpg
    68 GTX Advert. #6.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 1,079
  • 68 GTX black.jpg
    68 GTX black.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 1,064
  • 68 GTX Archer ISUS.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 1,066
  • 68 GTX LL1 Surf Metalic Turquoise.jpg
    68 GTX LL1 Surf Metalic Turquoise.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 1,054
  • 68 GTX 70's style.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 1,040
  • 68 GTX Convertible 426ci Hemi #2.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 1,062
No black is not the original. It is the SS1 Yellow. The first time it was painted the body shop wanted to spray black on it to find the dings and I fell in love with it. So black it has been since. (almost all black since the accident) LOL.
My 15 year old son want's me to keep it black, but now that I am older I am starting to like the original. But in the air with the color as the black is sweet looking without all the wheel well chrome and the rocker panel chrome..

I'm partial to the LL1 Surf Turquoise & some of the darker greens myself, but always loved the Black too, it's just sinister looken', especially with some chrome or stainless trim accents, I personally like the rear trunk trim panel too, sets off the car IMHO, looks great either way

Here are a couple of recent pic's

IMG_0512.jpg

IMG_0514.jpg

Old carpet. The new carpet is stored in the attic ready for install.
IMG_0491.jpg

Some light rust but cleans up nice.
IMG_0506.jpg

Started removing front grill and all front pieces and motor. Should have down to bare frame in front in the next couple of days..

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the color chart. Decided either original or black. Not sure which yet but that will come in time to much other stuff to do. I do have the trunk tail, it wasn't on yet in the previous pics in 84. Good thing it wasn't!!

1984 rear end.jpg

I'm partial to the LL1 Surf Turquoise & some of the darker greens myself, but always loved the Black too, it's just sinister looken', especially with some chrome or stainless trim accents, I personally like the rear trunk trim panel too, sets off the car IMHO, looks great either way

Wow a $125, that just makes me want to cry. Good luck on the project. If you look at Propwash's car ( Family tradition ) that he had done in black it will help you decide the second you look at it.

Welcome to the site. Cool car and story. Keep the pics. coming through the restoration process. I'm with tallhair in thinking those slots gotta stay.

hi and welcome to the site thanks for sharing ,good luck with the restore :blob1:

I too will be looking forward to this project unfold here on fbbo! Please, post more pics of tearing into it, that's the meat and potatoes of this site imho! Also, the slotted wheels, we used to be able to get them at JC Whitney, total vintage 70s!

No black is not the original. It is the SS1 Yellow. The first time it was painted the body shop wanted to spray black on it to find the dings and I fell in love with it. So black it has been since. (almost all black since the accident) LOL.
My 15 year old son want's me to keep it black, but now that I am older I am starting to like the original. But in the air with the color as the black is sweet looking without all the wheel well chrome and the rocker panel chrome..

Nice car! I your neck of the woods I would go with the SS1 yellow. also it is correct.

BUT--->:eusa_think:( I love BLACK RR's) with red pin stripe...etc.

Sonny

Yes the slots are staying they just look to cool with this body style. They were on the car when I bought so many years ago and a permanent part of the car. They really shine when cleaned up and no pits either..

Welcome to the site. Cool car and story. Keep the pics. coming through the restoration process. I'm with tallhair in thinking those slots gotta stay.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes it will be nice to see it back on the road again. I can't wait and neither can my son. I keep telling him patience my son but he really wants to ride in it. (actually drive it but good luck LOL)

By the way thanks Jay for the grill piece!!

Nice too see another getting back on the road.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes the car looks awesome Black, but after seeing a lot of pics on the web the Yellow is also pretty nice looking. Hopefully soon it will be ready for paint then I will have to make the decision then. (can't wait till that day comes)

Here's a 68 RR & Satellite Advert. in yellow, I don't have any 68 GTX's in yellow

Attachments

• 68 Roadrunner Advert. #3.jpg
    68 Roadrunner Advert. #3.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 967
  • 68 Satellite Advert. #1.jpg
    68 Satellite Advert. #1.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 992
Welcome and thanks for the post. Love to see new projects get started. I once had a 69 Sport Satellite that I got for $50.00. Sure wish I still had that car. :)

Welcome aboard, there's a few of them there '68 GTX's kicking around these here parts as well.

Auto Transport Service
Back