• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First time on the Drag strip.

Average Joe

Local time
7:49 PM
Reaction score
[video]https://youtu.be/v2c-ISC-DR4[/video]

I took the Charger to the Pueblo Motorsports Park last night.I have never been on a drag strip before so a first for me.
Lets just say I Suck at driving my car on the strip but it was fun!
My first run I just drove it down the track just see what to do.The second run I missed second gear twice and ran a 14.6 and I was what everyone there said asleep in the front seat when the light went.My reaction time was .981 I am guessing thats not good.
The Video clip is of my last run.Forgive the video its not that good.I asked Krissy to video my burnout and the run. Not sure what she was doing but she tried still love her!!!
This was my best run 12.7.Still wasn't that great. I spun pretty bad on take off and I think I let off twice cause the car is fast and I am not use to it.This Is my first car that actually has power.Even though I built the whole car I have never driven anything fast.
At the end of the run I had a nice smoke show not on the video.My oil dipstick pop out and oil went everywhere! That ended my night.
I am definitely hooked!! Can't wait to go again.

Great. The track is the place to race. It's very addictive.

Congrats on the first time out Joe!

I can't wait to give it a try myself and don't worry about the times your first time down the track. I'm headed to the track for the first time today as a spectator but will definitely get a few passes on my car sometime this summer.

I'm just afraid to get hooked like you said because I don't have the money to keep breaking parts racing!

12.7 isn't bad at all for a street car, considering the slow launch you must have really big getting it down the line. I'm hoping to make a pass as well and would be stoked to get into the 12s.

Watching that video, your car should have gone much faster considering it's a downhill track :rolling:

Seriously, don't be discouraged by what you perceive as a slow ET. The trick with drag racing (like everything) is plenty of practice, but also learning from your mistakes. Tuning and talking to other DRIVERS will help you reach a satisfactory goal. And then you will become hooked, and eventually get faster. :icon_thumleft:

My first time was in 2011 in a new Mustang gt with a chambered exhaust, Barton shifter and cold air tune. I went 12.5 @115 with traction problems in 2nd. Your 3700 lb charger is flyin' at 12.7! Thats nothing to sneeze at in a 45 y/o car. Now if we can just work on Krissy's video skills...lol

LOL!! She promises to do better next time.
I am going to run the car at the Mopar mega car show at Bandimere speedway on may 30th. I am going to put a hose clamp on the oil dipstick and not do the smoke show this time.LOL

Good job ! I have not been on the track since 1978. Never ran a 4 speed there before either. So I'm a bit nervous too. P.O. Said car went 12.40's. We'll see what I do.
Look at it this way. You improved 2 seconds in one night. You won't do that again, so it was a good night !

I used to live in Colorado Springs. Love that area and miss. Miss it even more now that I find out you have a drag strip in pueblo. Curious do you have to do anything different with your car living at 6000 ft? I always wondered that as I never shipped my car there when I lived there. Wish I had.

The he drag strip is fun - keep it going and let us know about your car and how you do next time. Lots of luck!

I used to live in Colorado Springs. Love that area and miss. Miss it even more now that I find out you have a drag strip in pueblo. Curious do you have to do anything different with your car living at 6000 ft? I always wondered that as I never shipped my car there when I lived there. Wish I had.

The he drag strip is fun - keep it going and let us know about your car and how you do next time. Lots of luck!

Yeah you would have to re jet if you brought a car here from a different state with lower altitude.I set mine up on a Dyno here in town at altitude.I need to bring it back and see were the car is now that I have put some hard time on the motor.

A plugged or too small of a breather can cause the dipstick to blow out. Does the car have a PCV valve?

You're most likely building too much crankcase pressure.

Very respectable first time out, congrats! You can have this much fun every weekend, just takes cubic dollars. :headbang:

Very nice first outing. 115 mph is good for mid 11's with good hook and a good 60 ft. With my old 440 I ran 11.49 @ 116.
Whats the build if you dont mind me asking ? Good luck the next time as I agree its addicting. Ron

A plugged or too small of a breather can cause the dipstick to blow out. Does the car have a PCV valve?

You're most likely building too much crankcase pressure.

I am pulling the crankcase ventilation through the exhaust. I can't run a pcv system with the supercharger.

- - - Updated - - -

Very nice first outing. 115 mph is good for mid 11's with good hook and a good 60 ft. With my old 440 I ran 11.49 @ 116.
Whats the build if you dont mind me asking ? Good luck the next time as I agree its addicting. Ron

The engine is a 496 CID Hemi with a F1 Procharger.

Good job ! I have not been on the track since 1978. Never ran a 4 speed there before either. So I'm a bit nervous too. P.O. Said car went 12.40's. We'll see what I do.
Look at it this way. You improved 2 seconds in one night. You won't do that again, so it was a good night !

I gotta disagree since I'm familiar with the build I think there's still another 2 seconds to gain provided you get your reaction time nailed and can get that car to hook! I can see traction being your nemesis with the HP/Torque you're putting down

A helpful hint, leave on the last yellow. Glad you had fun!

Practice makes for a better experience, or practice makes perfect !!

you'll do better each time for a while, as long as conditions are similar

traction especially with street tires, will always be an issue

maybe go to a test & tune session, you can usually get more runs in
& in the daytime too

good luck & I hope you have/had fun,
because that's what "it's supposed to be all about"

Auto Transport Service
Back