• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First time racing my Charger

70383ChargerSE

Local time
5:15 AM
Reaction score
I went drag racing for the first time in almost a decade. First time racing my 70 Charger and it was great. I drove 100 miles in bay area traffic to the track, bolted on my drag radials and got two runs in. I went a best of 12.6 at 106.

The engine combo is:

10:1 compression
Stock 440 source heads
Howards cams hydraulic roller
Holley 770
Holley street dominator dual plane
Schumacher headers
3.23 gears
Turbo action 10" converter
28" mt drag radials

I didn't break anything, it didn't overheat and the AC worked great. The bottleneck of this combo is certainly the Schumacher headers I am using from my old duster but they were free so I can't complain too much. Looking forward to going again next year.

Glad you had fun and returned home without incident. looks like the bottleneck is the 3.23 gears.

12.6 ET with 3.23's is dam good MO. 3.55's with perk it up some. 3.73's aren't friendly driving 100mi each way.

Last edited:
Yeah the gears are not helping either. Maybe when I can save some money for an overdrive or gearvendor I can go to a performance gear like 3.91 too.

That is plenty quick for a mild combo with 3.23 gears. Good converter,compression,decent heads,and a nice cam. Pretty well setup IMO.

I ran Schumacher tri-y's on my 65 451 stroker to a 11.90 thru the mufflers.
Don't discount 'um.

Copy of 2005_PA.jpg

@Darter6 that's great to know about the Schumacher headers going high 11's. A b body already has a nice amount of clearance to work on the engine but with the tri-y it adds more so it has been nice. Gears make more sense now.

Very good for tri ys and 323s.
391s and longtubes with collectors! :thumbsup:

Just have to drive a little slower

If you went to 3.91 gear you will probably only gain 3 tenths that's a lot of highway aggravation for .3 of a second. 3.55 will put you halfway between aggravation and livable.
Gears only help a slow, very underpowered, heavy car

If the goal is to go no faster than 12.6, then it's good!
But the " go no faster" rule rarely applies to racing!

I think that is an awesome time slip for a heavy car, stock stroke 440, and 3.23 gears.

Curious what your 60ft time was . I'm.running almost identical et but with 107-108 trap speed

I went drag racing for the first time in almost a decade. First time racing my 70 Charger and it was great. I drove 100 miles in bay area traffic to the track, bolted on my drag radials and got two runs in. I went a best of 12.6 at 106.

The engine combo is:

10:1 compression
Stock 440 source heads
Howards cams hydraulic roller.
I’d like to hear the specs on that cam and lifter combination.
I’m considering a switch to a roller setup. If you have power brakes, do you make enough vacuum or do you need a vacuum pump?
Thanks.

So good that you got to the track. Congrats.

When you say "stock" Stealths, I presume you mean OOTB.

I'm not sure what a Holley Street Dominator dual plane is - Do you have a picture?

12.6 @ 106 probably puts you at a 1.80 -18.5 sec 60'. Let us know. You will probably be dissapointed how little your et will change with a gear change alone. I've seen this time and time again. Probably 0.15, maybe 0.20 at the most.

The Tri-Ys are not holding you back. Did you run through the full exhaust system? Make sure you have a good exhaust system and mufflers. 2-1/2" mandrel bent and at least the Super Turbo mufflers.

Good luck!

If you want to know what lower gears will do for you get some 26" (or 27" for approximate 3.55) drag radials or slicks and see if you drop et. Also see if you can live with the cruise rpm.

What you have seems to be working very well together. Changing the wrong thing could make it less enjoyable. I will go out on a limb and say some serious head porting may be your best option to not upset the apple cart and get faster. Maybe some 1.6 rockers to go with it depending on the current lift.

Some 1 7/8 long tubes would be an upgrade as is but more so with better flowing heads.

Or just enjoy it as is. Want a little more for Saturday night ? There is always a 100-125 shot of nitrous.

My old Polara went 12.54 with the 3.55's at close to 4500lbs. When I went to 3.73 gears it was less fun on the street.

I didn't read all the other comments but to me, it looked like you did pretty dad gum good for a first time out!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back