• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Green bearings

Cornpatch MO

Local time
2:38 PM
Reaction score
I have been out of the loop for a while. Have they been holding up in non competition driving after many miles ? Has the factory improved them any since the past 5-6 years? IIRC the last ones I got , had thicker retainer plates and an improved bearing ? .....................................MO

I have been out of the loop for a while. Have they been holding up in non competition driving after many miles ? Has the factory improved them any since the past 5-6 years? IIRC the last ones I got , had thicker retainer plates and an improved bearing ? .....................................MO
I’ve had the same set in mine since 2005. Street driving, racing, drag and drive competition, etc.

No need for them here, stock tapered bearing is really a great idea.

I put them on my '64 in 2010, Steve. No problems in all that time - street driving only. I haven't put many miles on it since 2016, though.

Put them on the Bee 3 years ago and all good.

Not as good as tapered , but will work good.
The world's worst scenario is you have to replace one after ten years of high speed closed circuit racing.
Tapered are designed to last a lifetime.

I've had them in my runner since 2008 no problems at all. I run them in all my rides.

I had green bearings installed in my now ex '70 GTX back in 1998, and they are still there. No complaints so far from anyone.

The world's worst scenario is you have to replace one after ten years of high speed closed circuit racing.
Whose lifetime, Connor McCleoud of the clan MeCleoud?

From what I understand the first generation green bearings were not good. They have been vastly improved, but people cling to the bad news, and trash them.

Just about every car company uses the ball bearing set up. Green is no different than a ball bearing. Lots of green bearings were destroyed by the installers that forgot to remove a certain part.

There are the two types of green bearings, the ones with a solid retainer plate and the ones with a clip around the bearing and then a plate that holds the clip in the axle.
The later one with the clip is the preferred version as it allow a bit of misalignment.
Either one, the biggest issue I see is that they move the axles inward and will butt up on the differential pin if it is not removed, or the axle shaft slightly shortened, and that pre-loads the green bearings causing them to wear out quickly.

I put them on my '64 in 2010, Steve. No problems in all that time - street driving only. I haven't put many miles on it since 2016, though.
Good to see you, been a long time. I had them on my 64 Dodge, Didn't keep the car long, to fast for a old geezer!. With my low vision, just considering green again easy installation .............MO

If you pack the bearings. ...........................MO

From what I understand the first generation green bearings were not good. They have been vastly improved, but people cling to the bad news, and trash them.
Thank you, you confirmed what I thought. .............................MO

There are the two types of green bearings, the ones with a solid retainer plate and the ones with a clip around the bearing and then a plate that holds the clip in the axle.
The later one with the clip is the preferred version as it allow a bit of misalignment.
Either one, the biggest issue I see is that they move the axles inward and will butt up on the differential pin if it is not removed, or the axle shaft slightly shortened, and that pre-loads the green bearings causing them to wear out quickly.
If I take the "buttons " out of the differential center block, will that be enough? Thanks.........................MO

Somebody please explain to me what is the purpose of these Green Bearings.. Seriously, I have never known of any reason why I would need to get away from the regular Mopar bearings with adjustable side preload. What is the reason for Green bearings? What is their advantage?

"Green" syle bearings are intended for the drag strip where there is no side load. Can you use them for a street car? sure, but keep in mind they were never designed for street use. I used them on my car for about 5 years UNTIL ONE CATASTROPHICALY FAILED.
Your car, your choice, but why would you knowingly put a part on your car that wasn't designed for the application because it's cheaper?

Mark

Auto Transport Service
Back